Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/12/2013)

jasona.work (8/12/2013)

Well, in a little over an hour, I'm going to be picking up my shiny new BRZ...

Went for a test ride on Saturday, chewed over all the pros and cons of keeping / not keeping the Charger, slept on it, chewed on it some more, and finally we decided to go for it...

Maybe later this week I'll get a photo of it, with me in a Speedo leaning against it, and post the pic here...

:hehe:

Well, after sleeping on the Charger and chewing on the Charger, I'm surprised if you'll get much of a trade-in!

Well, it is fairly solidly built, so sleeping on it didn't do much...

As for chewing on it, anything tastes good with enough BBQ sauce, and if you start on the underbody, the apraiser won't notice a thing (until the brake line you nibbled on fails)

πŸ˜€

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/9/2013)

Fal (8/9/2013)

Hey Brandie,

I found a quote you might be able to relate to:

Ring Lardner

"A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor."

Fal.

Before computers were ubiquitous, that was standard. You wanted your manuscript back because you were unlikely to have more than one copy, if that. Heck, most magazines included that advice in their submissions guidelines.

True, I was there. My first ever submission included a SASE and I duly got my manuscript back. Some time afterwards I realised that it would be cheaper just to reprint it.

So the last, and successful, time I submitted that manuscript I marked it "Disposable" and emailed it. :ermm:

Fal.

• ChrisM@Work (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2013)

How many people (besides Jeff and myself) have written SQL Spackle articles?

How many SQL Spackle articles are there?

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

Waiting with worms on my tongue ("baited" breath :-D), what's up with this?

Sometime in the 1970's IIRC there was a "temporal cluster" of oral cancer in the coarse fishing community in the UK, which was traced back to dyes used to colour the maggots used as bait. Coarse fishermen routinely warm up the critters to make them more active - by popping them in the mouth for a few minutes.

Double Yuck! :sick:

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Oh what a fun little car the BRZ is!

The last time I was in a car that felt this sure-footed on the road, was a 1996-7 Eagle Talon TSI. Or maybe it was the 1980-something Porsche 944 a friends' brother had bought...

Now I need to find some empty, paved, twisty roads...

πŸ˜€

• If anyone has any ideas about this odd problem, I'd be happy to hear them. I've updated the post with our latest status.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• jasona.work (8/13/2013)

Oh what a fun little car the BRZ is!

The last time I was in a car that felt this sure-footed on the road, was a 1996-7 Eagle Talon TSI. Or maybe it was the 1980-something Porsche 944 a friends' brother had bought...

πŸ˜€

Congratulations on getting the car. I agree that a picture would be nice...hold the Speedo, please. Be sure to include a picture of the engine. πŸ˜€

• Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

jasona.work (8/13/2013)

πŸ˜€

Congratulations on getting the car. I agree that a picture would be nice...hold the Speedo, please. Be sure to include a picture of the engine. πŸ˜€

Be careful how you word this Ed. We do not want him to post a picture of him holding his Speedo anymore than we want one of him wearing it. :sick:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

jasona.work (8/13/2013)

πŸ˜€

Be careful how you word this Ed. We do not want him to post a picture of him holding his Speedo anymore than we want one of him wearing it. :sick:

AHHH!!! :blush: This qualifies as one of the biggest "oops" I've ever done. To make it as unambiguous as possible, I'll quote Steve:

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

Just the car, please.

• Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

jasona.work (8/13/2013)

πŸ˜€

AHHH!!! :blush: This qualifies as one of the biggest "oops" I've ever done. To make it as unambiguous as possible, I'll quote Steve:

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

Just the car, please.

I'm going to order some brain bleach right now...just in case!

• Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

Just the car, please.

πŸ˜€

Now for why people *HATE* playing board games with me! RULES LAWYERING!!!

You'l note Steve said without me *in it* In what? In the car? OK, I can post with me *ON* the car!

πŸ˜€

Later today, once I get home, I'll post a couple pics of the car and the motor, sans me...

• And this post marks my 10,000th one on SSC! 😎 😎 :w00t: (and some of them were actually useful!)

Now that I'm one of the big boyz and Grant can finally start talking to me, I'm ready to collect my SSC T-shirt, my secret manual of DBCC Timewarp with all documented and non-documented paraemeters and of course the 10,000 dollar equivalent of the points (paypal suits me just fine).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (8/14/2013)

And this post marks my 10,000th one on SSC! 😎 😎 :w00t: (and some of them were actually useful!)

Now that I'm one of the big boyz and Grant can finally start talking to me, I'm ready to collect my SSC T-shirt, my secret manual of DBCC Timewarp with all documented and non-documented paraemeters and of course the 10,000 dollar equivalent of the points (paypal suits me just fine).

Congratulations, Koen. I'd love to see the "secret manual of DBCC Timewarp with all documented and non-documented parameters" myself, so I need to post more.

And this post marks my 10,000th one on SSC! 😎 😎 :w00t: (and some of them were actually useful!)

Apart from occasional visits to watercooler corner and the beer wishlist, your posts are right up there with Gail and Grant, Koen, in terms of both quality and diversity of questions answered. Not bad for a European.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Congrats indeed Koen!

I'm only about 7000 posts behind you.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• ChrisM@Work (8/14/2013)

... Not bad for a European.

I shall take this as a compliment! πŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 40,906 through 40,920 (of 66,680 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply