Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Anybody feel like helping out with a mystery?

It involves a new SAN, New VR and a scheduled job taking 60x as long as it used to.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/8/2013)

Anybody feel like helping out with a mystery?

It involves a new SAN, New VR and a scheduled job taking 60x as long as it used to.

So you're saying something broke and nothing changed, right? 😀

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• jasona.work (8/8/2013)

Well, it's "budget" in comparison to a "typical" mid-life crisis car:

Corvette

Porsche

Ferrari...

😀

Actually, the BRZ is about $3-4K less than what we paid for our Charger, and about $2k more than the Dart Limited we bought as a second car.

2012 COPO camaro.....

Chances of me getting something like this - I'll win the lottery first.

Although I did get to see one this summer.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/8/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/8/2013)

Anybody feel like helping out with a mystery?

So you're saying something broke and nothing changed, right? 😀

I'm saying something broke and nothing changed on our side. It is frustrating because everything that changed I have no control over and little knowledge of.

I did find out the problem with our earlier late-night failures though! All my fault. System is complex enough that we missed a once a week job that was deleting files early in the morning. I've implemented a fix for it and will find out tonight if it works.

Entirely possible this is a similar problem, but the break started Sunday, we changed to vm on Saturday and I wasn't working on the weekend.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• So now the wife, who raised the idea in the first place, is trying to make it *MY* fault that I'm hooked on car shopping...

Sheesh, wimmin...

:hehe:

• Yes...and the price tag will be your fault as well. Get used to it - it's the way of the world.

• jasona.work (8/8/2013)

Now nobody's trying to talk me out of this...

Hmm, pay off bills faster (albeit not a lot faster) or a new "budget" mid-life crisis car?

One is smarter, financially, but one also changes your life. Life is short. find a balance between getting what you want (at times) and planning for the future (at times).

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/8/2013)

jasona.work (8/8/2013)

Now nobody's trying to talk me out of this...

Hmm, pay off bills faster (albeit not a lot faster) or a new "budget" mid-life crisis car?

One is smarter, financially, but one also changes your life. Life is short. find a balance between getting what you want (at times) and planning for the future (at times).

course, as I write this, I'm looking at kid #2 driving next year and I'm already looking at giving him the Prius and finding something else I want.

Highly tempted to trade in my 911 and get a Cayenne, which will give me more time on the road in weather. then I go, why not look at a Lexus RX series, go luxury. Maybe I should consider a high end BMW/Audi/Volvo SUV as well?

I'll look used, but I'll look. Cars excite me, and there's a lot to be said for things that excite you.

• One is smarter, financially, but one also changes your life. Life is short. find a balance between getting what you want (at times) and planning for the future (at times).

A great American once said to "live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." One interpretation of this is that if you pay off debt and then stay away from it, you'll have more money than you knew possible.

Don't get me wrong...an uber-cool car would be a really fun toy to have, but what's the price you'll really pay for it? This is both financially and relationally. It isn't something for you to answer to anyone else, but for you to answer for yourself. If it doesn't cause stress in your marriage and you can afford it, buy the car. If it'll cause marital strain or you can't afford it, it isn't worth it. You might end up selling it later anyway, in which case you'll suffer a huge financial hit; that says nothing of the relationship with your wife. So, the decision is up to you both.

Just food for thought. I hope it wasn't too sappy.

• Ed Wagner (8/8/2013)

A great American once said to "live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." One interpretation of this is that if you pay off debt and then stay away from it, you'll have more money than you knew possible.

Don't get me wrong...an uber-cool car would be a really fun toy to have, but what's the price you'll really pay for it? This is both financially and relationally. It isn't something for you to answer to anyone else, but for you to answer for yourself. If it doesn't cause stress in your marriage and you can afford it, buy the car. If it'll cause marital strain or you can't afford it, it isn't worth it. You might end up selling it later anyway, in which case you'll suffer a huge financial hit; that says nothing of the relationship with your wife. So, the decision is up to you both.

Just food for thought. I hope it wasn't too sappy.

Also remember the great saying "You can't take it with you". Life isn't just about money.

• It's a balance.

Can you afford it, does it cause issues, what does this do to your life. Balance the joy/excitement with the costs. The real costs, not just financial ones. Weigh that against delaying the purchase and doing something else?

The more you can delay, the better off you are financially. However the longer you delay the less time you may have with it. I've had friends in the last couple years die in their 40s and 50s. A couple suddenly.

It should be a debate is for you, not just a whimsical purchase. But don't delay until you're 65 to start spending money on yourself. Find a balance.

• ChrisM@Work (8/8/2013)

Howard - the name of the guy made me chuckle, given the pidgin English 😀

I've been hearing a lot of Tok Pisin for the last week. Two more wonderful days in Port Moresby.

Links posted for you Americans because I know you don't get out much.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Hey Brandie,

I found a quote you might be able to relate to:

Ring Lardner

"A good many young writers make the mistake of enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope, big enough for the manuscript to come back in. This is too much of a temptation to the editor."

Fal.

• dwain.c (8/8/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/8/2013)

Howard - the name of the guy made me chuckle, given the pidgin English 😀

I've been hearing a lot of Tok Pisin for the last week. Two more wonderful days in Port Moresby.

Links posted for you Americans because I know you don't get out much.

Port Moresby - ranked 139th of 140 cities for liveability, whatever that means. I wonder which city came last? What's the grub like?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/8/2013)

It's a balance.

Can you afford it, does it cause issues, what does this do to your life. Balance the joy/excitement with the costs. The real costs, not just financial ones. Weigh that against delaying the purchase and doing something else?

The more you can delay, the better off you are financially. However the longer you delay the less time you may have with it. I've had friends in the last couple years die in their 40s and 50s. A couple suddenly.

It should be a debate is for you, not just a whimsical purchase. But don't delay until you're 65 to start spending money on yourself. Find a balance.

Yeah, that's someting to think about...

Stopped by the dealership last night after work, the one I'm looking at happens to be both:

A) The only one in stock

B) The showroom model

So at least yesterday, I didn't take it for a test spin.

Talked to the wife, looked at the budget, re-ran the numbers on our credit unions loan calculator and realized I was double-deducting the trade-in when I first did it...

So the monthly payments doubled...

Looked more, realized we could still make the payments without straining the budget. Talked to the wife some more, and we're going up Saturday to take another look. Contacted the sales guy to arrange for the appraiser to give our Charger the stink-eye, and asked if we could arrange to take the car for a test. He figures it shouldn't be a problem to get it out of the showroom so we can...

As for delaying, well, I'm almost half-way into my 40s', so your comment rings true to me...

Seize the moment! Seize the day! 😀

And, I'm still debating about passing on it for now and using the $$$ for bills...

So's the wife...

:hehe:

Ed Wagner: Nah, not too sappy, I completely understand where you're coming from.

Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 40,846 through 40,860 (of 66,680 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply