Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2012)

SQLRNNR (8/7/2012)

Lynn Pettis (8/7/2012)

I don't know, but I'm really getting tired of questions wanting answers but not getting enough information to for me to even start to give a decent answer. And I feel like a broken record, a broken record, a broken record ... every time I have ask for more information. Really, if people would read their own question and ask themselves if they could actually provide an good answer based solely on what is in their post they might realize why they are asked to provide more details.

You shouldn't make assumptions like that.:hehe:

You just gotta play devils advocate, don'tcha. :hehe:

I did get another chuckle from it though.

Have to in order to give myself a chuckle.;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• OMG.

OP: I run this T-SQL to change the location of these datbases but when I try to open the database SQL says it can't find the files.

Me: Have you physically moved the files after you run the t-sql?

OP: No I was hoping to do it by script...

And you wonder why we stress out????

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2012)

OMG.

OP: I run this T-SQL to change the location of these datbases but when I try to open the database SQL says it can't find the files.

Me: Have you physically moved the files after you run the t-sql?

OP: No I was hoping to do it by script...

And you wonder why we stress out????

:laugh:

Learn Extended Events

• Editor: Image removed.

Link to image

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o5swS_a08j4/Sv0XX5UFrSI/AAAAAAAAEQc/NKWVzCsO0MY/s400/obama+short+bus.jpg

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2012)

I don't know, but I'm really getting tired of questions wanting answers but not getting enough information to for me to even start to give a decent answer. And I feel like a broken record, a broken record, a broken record ... every time I have ask for more information. Really, if people would read their own question and ask themselves if they could actually provide an good answer based solely on what is in their post they might realize why they are asked to provide more details.

I'm thinking that maybe we need to change this thread to "Are the posted answers getting worse?"

Lately (very recently) I've seen some pretty lame answers to some of the questions out there, usually posted by people with low point totals, so they're either newbies to SQL or just to the site. This of course does not apply to the regular (awesome) contributors.

For my part, I've been pretty busy of late so unable to contribute much. Until I get another cool problem to work on, I'm back (and hopefully not contributing to my thread renaming suggestion). 🙂

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Wow! I hit 2000 points, 1500 from QotD's and 500 from posts. Weird...

Do I need to be proud of myself? 😎

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/8/2012)

Wow! I hit 2000 points, 1500 from QotD's and 500 from posts. Weird...

Do I need to be proud of myself? 😎

Why yes. Yes you do. It is required.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Wait. How the heck do you have more visits than I do and less points?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• dwain.c (8/7/2012)

Lynn Pettis (8/7/2012)

I'm thinking that maybe we need to change this thread to "Are the posted answers getting worse?"

Lately (very recently) I've seen some pretty lame answers to some of the questions out there, usually posted by people with low point totals, so they're either newbies to SQL or just to the site. This of course does not apply to the regular (awesome) contributors.

For my part, I've been pretty busy of late so unable to contribute much. Until I get another cool problem to work on, I'm back (and hopefully not contributing to my thread renaming suggestion). 🙂

There already is a "are the posted answers getting worse" topic http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic641260-61-1.aspx

• So today a call was logged to look at a job (MoveStuff) on a server Bob. As it was failing.

Only they didn't say job as such, more like I think it's a third party addin.

Turned out to by a DTS package on a 2000 server. Oh and it was a named instance, not the default. So Bob\Manager!

Well anyway the jobs is running fine. The "classic" truncate three local tables populate from remote tables. Seems to have run successfully for the last few weeks at least.

So update the person and the call. Discovered that on our call logging software there is no category that is essentially saying this was a non-problem. Last two places did. No Fault Found I believe.

But anyway after lunch the call had been reopened and a email sent saying that it was defiantly failing and could I check again.

(Some of you may be rushing to the punchline by now)

So I check the job, MoveStuff on instance Bob\Manager, and yep it worked again for the afternoon job.

So I run 2 queries against each table, a count and the "most recent", based on date columns, 100 rows. Then do the same on the source server - Mary. I was then pasting the results in a spreadsheet, working out how I was going to word the answer, when I noticed the forwarded part of the email by a third person actually talked about a job called MoveStuff on Server Mary.

So logging into that one, yep there was a job that had been failing for the last week!

I took three attempts at writing my reply. As our service desk has a habit of just copy and pasting to update the notes.

So the following appears in the notes;

On Bob\Manager, the server mentioned in the call, the job is, as I said, working fine.

Now on Mary, the server mentioned in the email, yep that one is failing!

I am soooo glad I toned it down. But it still gave the team lead a giggle.

Rodders...

• SQLRNNR (8/7/2012)

Editor: Image removed.

LOL, made me laugh 🙂 Although it is not appropriate for this kind of forum

Fox News neo-nazi propaganda, you gotta love it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Brandie Tarvin (8/8/2012)

Wait. How the heck do you have more visits than I do and less points?

You jealous, Brandie?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/8/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (8/8/2012)

You jealous, Brandie?

Just really confused. You should have more points with that many visits. 2000+ seems a little low.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/8/2012)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/8/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (8/8/2012)

You jealous, Brandie?

Just really confused. You should have more points with that many visits. 2000+ seems a little low.

Lots of lurking. 😉

• D.Oc (8/8/2012)

SQLRNNR (8/7/2012)

Editor: Image removed.

LOL, made me laugh 🙂 Although it is not appropriate for this kind of forum

Fox News neo-nazi propaganda, you gotta love it.

HAHAHA

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 37,336 through 37,350 (of 66,675 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply