Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2012)

SteveBell (6/20/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (6/20/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

Oracle's documentation is less than stellar, for one thing, so when I try to look up things about the Oracle Home directory I feel like I'm a fictional detective trying to track down my arch nemesis.

Sigh.

My brain is itching. It wants to write this story. As if I didn't have enough projects to work on as it is...

Write Brandy! Write like the wind!

Ummm. Okay.

"Like the wind."

Ooh, excellent! Another masterpiece. : -)

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Oracle's documentation is less than stellar, for one thing, so when I try to look up things about the Oracle Home directory I feel like I'm a fictional detective trying to track down my arch nemesis.

We joke that you have to be certified in Oracle to be able to read the documentation. I feel your pain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • We did get the Attunity connector working this morning. Just an update, in case anyone was curious. : -)

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

We did get the Attunity connector working this morning. Just an update, in case anyone was curious. : -)

And we had written if off

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (6/19/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/19/2012)

Wow, getting the Attunity drivers to work with Oracle is an enormous pain. This shouldn't be something that takes days to get right.

I never had much troubles with it.

Congratulations!

It is mostly getting the Oracle client(s) to install properly, this is the third server I've done or attempted to do the install on and it never goes the same twice.

Ah, that's something totally different 🙂

Oracle clients are a pain in the *ss.

The download is huge, and I never know what to install, configuring it is even worse.

I usually copy paste the TNSNAMES.ORA from a working machine and pray that it works.

The worse part is: at my current client I succesfully succeeded in installing the Oracle client at a development server, so everytime they need a new install, they come to me. :crazy:

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• The thread seems very quiet. I've been away three days and there are only 62 new posts on it.

But I may not find the energy to read even those few posts.

Life has suddenly changed. Our daughter is in hospital and very unlikely to come out again. We originally thought it was something that that would be fixed quickly, and didn't worry much, but the medical team discovered it was not quite so simple late last week. Ann and I flew back to the UK on Friday night and I spoke to Nikki at the hospital by phone on Saturday, and she seemed fairly OK, so I planned to go up and see her on Monday. Then on Sunday I got a call from the hospital - it wasn't just not quite so simple, but a good deal worse. I drove up on Monday morning and spent most of 3 days visiting there, mostly with Nikki but also talking to the medical team. Early this afternoon teh medical team's view changed from "difficult to deal with" to "not curable, only limited palliative measures possible, unlikely to be able to return home". Her mother, Ann, was too ill to travel on Monday so I came back this afternoon to pick her up and will drive back up there with her tomorrow, so that she too can visit.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (6/20/2012)

The thread seems very quiet. I've been away three days and there are only 62 new posts on it.

Life has suddenly changed. Our daughter is in hospital and very unlikely to come out again. We originally thought it was something that that would be fixed quickly, and didn't worry much, but the medical team discovered it was not quite so simple late last week. Ann and I flew back to the UK on Friday night and I spoke to Nikki at the hospital by phone on Saturday, and she seemed fairly OK, so I planned to go up and see her on Monday. Then on Sunday I got a call from the hospital - it wasn't just not quite so simple, but a good deal worse. I drove up on Monday morning and spent most of 3 days visiting there, mostly with Nikki but also talking to the medical team. Early this afternoon teh medical team's view changed from "difficult to deal with" to "not curable, only limited palliative measures possible, unlikely to be able to return home". Her mother, Ann, was too ill to travel on Monday so I came back this afternoon to pick her up and will drive back up there with her tomorrow, so that she too can visit.

I'm sorry to read that, Tom, but be sure I will pray for her health starting right now.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

The thread seems very quiet. I've been away three days and there are only 62 new posts on it.

Sorry to hear that Tom. Praying for the best for you and your family.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well.

🙁

• Koen Verbeeck (6/20/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/20/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (6/19/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/19/2012)

Wow, getting the Attunity drivers to work with Oracle is an enormous pain. This shouldn't be something that takes days to get right.

I never had much troubles with it.

Congratulations!

It is mostly getting the Oracle client(s) to install properly, this is the third server I've done or attempted to do the install on and it never goes the same twice.

Ah, that's something totally different 🙂

Oracle clients are a pain in the *ss.

The download is huge, and I never know what to install, configuring it is even worse.

I usually copy paste the TNSNAMES.ORA from a working machine and pray that it works.

The worse part is: at my current client I succesfully succeeded in installing the Oracle client at a development server, so everytime they need a new install, they come to me. :crazy:

That is exactly what I did with TNSNames.ora.

I'm so sorry. My condolances. I'm glad you can be there.

I really am sorry for her and for you. I don't pray, but I'll keep you in my thoughts.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Thoughts and prayers for you all

Bex

Oh god, so sorry to hear this. I hope things actually turn out better.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 36,586 through 36,600 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply