Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm being deliberately a little vague, see if more information on the scenario presents itself. Can't say I'm optimistic.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • LutzM (2/25/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/25/2012)

Returning to the original subject of this thread, I can now say I've seen just about everything on this fine forum.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1257783-391-1.aspx

<shudder>

It becomes rather scary when seen in context with his/her other posts:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1257782.aspx

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1257784.aspx

</shudder>

Oh my. That's seriously frightening.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (2/25/2012)

LutzM (2/25/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/25/2012)

Returning to the original subject of this thread, I can now say I've seen just about everything on this fine forum.

<shudder>

</shudder>

Oh my. That's seriously frightening.

Or it is a psychologist doing his/her research on pain tolerance of a sizeable DBA population.

• Jeff Moden (2/25/2012)

should we be encouraging the use of 'select *' ? 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Quite an interesting day. I gave my two weeks notice and was basicly told that I would not need to come back. Not that I don't mind, it means not having to drive to Denver for the next two weeks, but now I need to see if my new employer will be able to let me start early. I was going to start on March 12th, but now I'd like to start sooner if I can.

Any way, I was offered and accepted a new position with a company in Colorado Springs. It is a full time permanant position so I won't have to carry insurance via Cobra any more. YEA!!

Congrats!

In the past when I put in my notice and was told not to come back, I got the two weeks of pay anyway. Is this a consulting gig?

Yes, I was working as a contractor. If I get paid for the 2 weeks great. I think of it as a blessing, it is 2 weeks I don't have to drive to Denver. That commute was kicking my *** this time. I am going to try and see if my new employer will let me start sooner than March 12th, else wise it is a two week vacation and I do have the money to cover any expenses.

I am really excited about working for my new employer. The work will be more developmental than production support, which is something I have learned I enjoy more. Plus, the benefits are excellent, 100% employer paid health/dental/vision for me and my dependents, 20 days PTO to start, 100% vested in company 401K from the start with 100% match for first 3%.

I'll be one of 4 SQL Server professionals working for my manager. And he is already awesome. His interview even asked questions based of my articles and blog posts. He really looked into what I could do.

• Lynn Pettis (2/25/2012)

Grant Fritchey (2/25/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Quite an interesting day. I gave my two weeks notice and was basicly told that I would not need to come back. Not that I don't mind, it means not having to drive to Denver for the next two weeks, but now I need to see if my new employer will be able to let me start early. I was going to start on March 12th, but now I'd like to start sooner if I can.

Any way, I was offered and accepted a new position with a company in Colorado Springs. It is a full time permanant position so I won't have to carry insurance via Cobra any more. YEA!!

Congrats!

In the past when I put in my notice and was told not to come back, I got the two weeks of pay anyway. Is this a consulting gig?

Yes, I was working as a contractor. If I get paid for the 2 weeks great. I think of it as a blessing, it is 2 weeks I don't have to drive to Denver. That commute was kicking my *** this time. I am going to try and see if my new employer will let me start sooner than March 12th, else wise it is a two week vacation and I do have the money to cover any expenses.

I am really excited about working for my new employer. The work will be more developmental than production support, which is something I have learned I enjoy more. Plus, the benefits are excellent, 100% employer paid health/dental/vision for me and my dependents, 20 days PTO to start, 100% vested in company 401K from the start with 100% match for first 3%.

I'll be one of 4 SQL Server professionals working for my manager. And he is already awesome. His interview even asked questions based of my articles and blog posts. He really looked into what I could do.

I enjoyed similar good luck with a company that I basically "cold called" because I knew a couple of great folks working there. I was really excited to go there because of the management there and the people I knew I'd be working with.

What was really exciting is that it only took 14 minutes to get to work even during rush hour. During the "in person" interview, I was asked why I wanted to work there. One of my reasons, of course, was the really short commute. They told me not to get excited about that because they were moving in March 2012. My heart sank (one of my favorite companies I'd worked for moved from Michigan to North Carolina) and I dutifully asked where they were moving to. I did mental "yippees" and "hand springs" when they told me because it cut the distance from my house to work in half and the drive time to about a third (less street-level travel, almost all highway). It'll be so close that I can ride my unicycle to work without having to powder for chaffing. 😀

Anyway, I certainly understand the elation you're going through especially since I have worked 50 miles from home. Congratulations, Lynn!!!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (2/25/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/25/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Congrats!

I enjoyed similar good luck with a company that I basically "cold called" because I knew a couple of great folks working there. I was really excited to go there because of the management there and the people I knew I'd be working with.

What was really exciting is that it only took 14 minutes to get to work even during rush hour. During the "in person" interview, I was asked why I wanted to work there. One of my reasons, of course, was the really short commute. They told me not to get excited about that because they were moving in March 2012. My heart sank (one of my favorite companies I'd worked for moved from Michigan to North Carolina) and I dutifully asked where they were moving to. I did mental "yippees" and "hand springs" when they told me because it cut the distance from my house to work in half and the drive time to about a third (less street-level travel, almost all highway). It'll be so close that I can ride my unicycle to work without having to powder for chaffing. 😀

Anyway, I certainly understand the elation you're going through especially since I have worked 50 miles from home. Congratulations, Lynn!!!

All three of my interviews were telephone interviews. I haven't even set foot in the office yet. I only have a general idea of where they are located, but a very good one at that. Still a bit of a commute, from the south end of Colorado Springs to the North End, but maybe about 20 to 30 minutes.

I do know that there are high expectations for me, just hope they don't mind me falling on my face a few times as I hit the ground running. I do need some time to learn the apllication I will be supporting as well as their policies and procedures.

They are looking at upgrading the database for the application. It is currently SQL Server 2005, and they are looking at either SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2012. Really hoping they go with SQL Server 2012.

Well, I got things to do so I better go.

• Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Congratulations!

-Ki

• Lynn Pettis (2/25/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Congrats!

Wow! That's great. The job I have currently was the only one that seemed aware I had written anything on the subject of SQL Server (except one company that spent the whole day playing "Stump the Chump" with obscure tuning & internals questions, that got old, quick).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Lynn Pettis (2/24/2012)

Congrats!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Wow! That's great. The job I have currently was the only one that seemed aware I had written anything on the subject of SQL Server (except one company that spent the whole day playing "Stump the Chump" with obscure tuning & internals questions, that got old, quick).

Hey Grant, when we are on the subject of books, just noticed that a new book is coming out "SS2012 QPT" by you, good stuff

Congrats! Lynn.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• D.Oc (2/26/2012)

Hey Grant, when we are on the subject of books, just noticed that a new book is coming out "SS2012 QPT" by you, good stuff

Congrats! Lynn.

Thanks. It's almost done too. I'm starting edits on the tech review of Chapter 12 out of 17 chapters. After that it's just the copy edit to clean up my horrible use of the English language.

I also finished tech review edits on the update for the Begginning SQL Admin book.

My third book, SQL Server in a Month of Lunches has turned into a death march. Hate my publisher, dislike my editor, really hate their process. I'm writing chapter 20 of 27. I've had to rewrite the first 10 chapters three times & we're looking at another rewrite. THEN we'll start tech editing everything... blech. Been working on this book almost a year. It'll end up taking well over a year. Really, really horrible process. I'll finish it, then if any of you want to take the book over, let me know. I'll put your name in when they ask for the rewrite cause I don't want to work on it again.

Now if we can just get Tony to publish all the work done on the execution plans book last year, things'll be golden.

BTW, never, ever, work on five different books over a year. It's crazy.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Oops here we go again .. blog postings show up in the Forums page, but this one is super special ..

It is wishing us all a Happy New Year (2012)

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/sqldbauk/2011/12/31/happy-new-year/

hmmm just a little late if you think 57 days is a bit tardy.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• LutzM (2/25/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/25/2012)

<shudder>

</shudder>

Three possibilities here.

1) Someone was literally thrown to the wolves and told to "fix the database"

2) This is homework, exam prep, or interview prep questions

3) This is a wanna-be hacker trying to figure out how to pull information down from someone's db server

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Congrats on the new job, Lynn. I love Colorado Springs. If I get a chance to move to Colorado, that's the city I want to live in.

As close to the Garden of the Gods as possible. I love that place!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 34,456 through 34,470 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply