Are the posted questions getting worse?

• LutzM (2/3/2012)

Revenant (2/3/2012)

GilaMonster (2/3/2012)

Summer, glorious summer (and lots of rain)

Members in Central Europe will be green with envy -- Germany and the Czech Republic broke the low temperature records earlier today.

Here in Saxony (South-East of Germany) we had 0Β°F this morning. The record currently is held by a small town about 60 miles away:-20Β°F this morning. It's supposed to stay in that range for the next few days.

The best thing to do is to grab a glass of mulled wine and perform some CUI (Coding Under Influence) πŸ˜€

We have +6 C, but as a token of respect I will follow your methodology, anyway. After all, it is Friday. πŸ˜‰

• Brandie Tarvin (2/3/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/3/2012)

snow, snow, snow.

Do the Google thing to all your computers then tell the family that the blizzard is so bad, it's snowing in the house too. @=)

ROFL, that would work if the kids were a little younger.

• Just so you know, Colorado is great.

This was my conference call on Wed morning, in a long sleeve shirt.

This was today:

• LutzM (2/3/2012)

Revenant (2/3/2012)

GilaMonster (2/3/2012)

Summer, glorious summer (and lots of rain)

Members in Central Europe will be green with envy -- Germany and the Czech Republic broke the low temperature records earlier today.

Here in Saxony (South-East of Germany) we had 0Β°F this morning. The record currently is held by a small town about 60 miles away:-20Β°F this morning. It's supposed to stay in that range for the next few days.

The best thing to do is to grab a glass of mulled wine andperform some CUI (Coding Under Influence) πŸ˜€

Makes the expected -10 c overnight round here look positivly balmy in comparison!

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• GSquared (2/3/2012)

snow, snow, snow.

Now you're just trying to make me jealous! πŸ™‚

75F here in Orlando. Just about perfect out for a picnic or something comparable. Same as yesterday. Same as all week. Same as next week, I'm sure. Boring, boring perfection here. Oh well ...

Now I'm jealous. It hit 75F (just under 24C) for a few minutes here today, but didn't stay that high long enough for a picnic; it's been a cool week, max 20C (68F) some days and max 26C (79F) others. I even put a pullover (a thin one) on at 3pm today and haven't yet taken it off.

Tom

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (2/3/2012)

GSquared (2/3/2012)

snow, snow, snow.

Now you're just trying to make me jealous! πŸ™‚

75F here in Orlando. Just about perfect out for a picnic or something comparable. Same as yesterday. Same as all week. Same as next week, I'm sure. Boring, boring perfection here. Oh well ...

Now I'm jealous. It hit 75F (just under 24C) for a few minutes here today, but didn't stay that high long enough for a picnic; it's been a cool week, max 20C (68F) some days and max 26C (79F) others. I even put a pullover (a thin one) on at 3pm today and haven't yet taken it off.

If it makes you feel better, Tom, Jacksonville has been a little more erratic than Orlando (same state, only 2 hrs away). We've been getting hard freeze warnings on and off at night and then the temps have been jumping up on some days and staying cool on others.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/3/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (2/3/2012)

snow, snow, snow.

Do the Google thing to all your computers then tell the family that the blizzard is so bad, it's snowing in the house too. @=)

ROFL, that would work if the kids were a little younger.

May I just point out that I'm an adult, grown up, living on my own and when I visit my parents, my father would completely ignore the age thing and do it anyway just to see what my reaction would be?

Do it anyway. Let them do the "Daa-aad!" moment. Trust me. You'll have fun.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/3/2012)

jcrawf02 (2/2/2012)

Is it a character flaw that every time I ask for help and someone tells me that it will take too long and be too hard, to get mad and provide them with a potential solution as fast as I possibly can?

Seems like a character flaw...

Consider the precedent you are setting. People know if you ask for help, you don't really need it. After all, if they tell you how difficult the task is, you're just going to prove to them it can be done by doing it yourself. So why should they waste the energy to assist you?

Good point. However, most of the time this happens because I assume that they already have something to do the task, or that if they don't, that they are the subject matter expert and can help me find one. Maybe that's just a bad assumption on my part.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Just so you know, Colorado is great.

This was my conference call on Wed morning, in a long sleeve shirt.

This was today:

How much did you actually get? I heard potential of two feet in Denver on the radio?

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Evil Kraig F (2/2/2012)

Revenant (2/2/2012)

jcrawf02 (2/2/2012)

Is it a character flaw that every time I ask for help and someone tells me that it will take too long and be too hard, to get mad and provide them with a potential solution as fast as I possibly can?

Seems like a character flaw...

*Edit - didn't happen on SSC, in case you're wondering

Seems to me like something you should put on your resume. It would definitely get my attention.

Character flaw, no. Counterproductive, yes. If everytime you needed something from me I whine at you and you go do it for me, why would I ever do it for you? OTOH, if you make them look stupid all the time, particularly in front of management, that won't help politically either.

Am I guilty? Oh hells yes.

Yeah, first time it happened because they actually laughed at me (quite loudly and prolongedly - making up adverbs here) and said it would take hundreds of man-hours on a phone call where my boss and the CFO were listening in, so I did it before the meeting was over because I was so hot. Caught myself doing it several more times since then, trying to control that impulse (somewhat unsuccessfully).

This time it was something peripheral for them, but resulting from their work, and creating a work stoppage for me. I was told that they wouldn't do it because it was time consuming and difficult. Not a valid excuse, IMHO, especially when I don't have an option.

• jcrawf02 (2/3/2012)

How much did you actually get? I heard potential of two feet in Denver on the radio?

Over a foot, I think. Hard to tell since the wind is blowing so much. Half of my front grass I can see, but there's a 3ft+ drift just outside the front door.

jcrawf02 (2/3/2012)

Over a foot, I think. Hard to tell since the wind is blowing so much. Half of my front grass I can see, but there's a 3ft+ drift just outside the front door.

Oh, noes! Pour Stevez. Iz snowd in and cantz reaches the interwebz! Someonez sendz helpz and cocoa!

• Pin drop silence here from past 2 days !!! What happened ? Does Brandie's last post has something to do with it ?? :hehe: πŸ˜›

Sujeet Singh

• Divine Flame (2/6/2012)

Pin drop silence here from past 2 days !!! What happened ? Does Brandie's last post has something to do with it ?? :hehe: πŸ˜›

Maybe. I've been watching lolcats sites for 2 days now since Brandie's post πŸ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• It seems we have a personification of Google on these forums:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1246473-391-1.aspx?Update=1

Now he is just copy pasting MSDN articles into the topics. :rolleyes:

At least it had something to do with the topic.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 34,156 through 34,170 (of 66,681 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply