Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Cadavre (1/12/2012)

I'm going to continue posting, reading and answering questions on this site for one simple reason: I learn as much if not more than those that I've helped. Either from someone else posting a superior solution or simply from attempting to answer the question in the first place.

This site is great and the majority of the posters (I can only think of three regular posters that don't) that attempt to answer questions do so with a great amount of patience in helping others to understand their solution.

Yes indeed. I don't have the time I'd like to answer more questions, so I tend to answer in batches, but I learn every time I do.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/12/2012)

Cadavre (1/12/2012)

I'm going to continue posting, reading and answering questions on this site for one simple reason: I learn as much if not more than those that I've helped. Either from someone else posting a superior solution or simply from attempting to answer the question in the first place.

This site is great and the majority of the posters (I can only think of three regular posters that don't) that attempt to answer questions do so with a great amount of patience in helping others to understand their solution.

Yes indeed. I don't have the time I'd like to answer more questions, so I tend to answer in batches, but I learn every time I do.

I wish I had more time. I learn a lot. I think the people that learn the most from posting and answering questions are the ones that test and research and test some more.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Cadavre (1/12/2012)

+1

I have to agree as well.

I don't have the time I'd like to answer more questions, so I tend to answer in batches, but I learn every time I do.

That's me. Too much work to do, not enough time for personal development.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Cadavre (1/12/2012)

I don't post because I either don't have the answer, or else by the time I read a thread, it has already been answered more fully than I could add anything to it. On the very rare occassion I can help, I do so happily.

Bex

• Bex (1/12/2012)

Cadavre (1/12/2012)

I don't post because I either don't have the answer, or else by the time I read a thread, it has already been answered more fully than I could add anything to it. On the very rare occassion I can help, I do so happily.

Bex

At least half the time I answer, I didn't have the answer when I started. I read the question, go "I wonder how you'd do that", and start researching. Then I post an answer. And about half the time I do that, by the time I hit "post", someone else has already replied. But I still learned by researching something I'd never thought of.

That's most of how I learn new things in SQL these days.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/12/2012)

At least half the time I answer, I didn't have the answer when I started. I read the question, go "I wonder how you'd do that", and start researching. Then I post an answer. And about half the time I do that, by the time I hit "post", someone else has already replied. But I still learned by researching something I'd never thought of.

Ditto, and I think a couple of "this is how I'd do it" is OK.

• GSquared (1/12/2012)

Bex (1/12/2012)

Cadavre (1/12/2012)

Bex

Yep, that's me too. I guess it's the reason that I've learnt so much since signing up to this forum.

Besides, let's be honest, SQL Server is way too vast a product for anyone to have all of the answers.

--EDIT--

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that I wouldn't change anything about this website.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/12/2012)

GSquared (1/12/2012)

Ditto, and I think a couple of "this is how I'd do it" is OK.

Yep. And, of course, if my research lead me astray, there are others who will usually catch me on it. Learn from that, too.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• ChrisM@home (1/12/2012)

GSquared (1/12/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/12/2012)

GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Bex (1/12/2012)

From someone who is a lurker on this site, I take the attitude that if I ask for free help and I don't like the reponses I am getting, I am free to go pay for some I do like elsewhere. I was taught that good manners cost nothing, and as I got older discovered that there are a lot of tech forums where advice and help is also free, providing you 'help them to help you'.

Fantastic. Please feel free to lurk less and post more, your attitude is unfortunately rare these days

Ditto.

And remember, the more you post, the more you learn. Even if you're wrong, if you're willing to be corrected, your knowledge will increase by leaps and bounds more than if you just read. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Re-ditto.

I started out by posting answers straight off the bat a few years ago. Boy did I need a lot of correction back then! WOW!

I was actually looking at the discussions on my audit trails articles just yesterday. Posted those articles in '08. Wow! They definitely needed a lot of correction. Someone in the forum had to tell me what a server-side trace was, for example.

Learned a LOT from corrections, et al, to what I posted. Jeff is the main one I remember flinging more than a few porkchops my way.

These days, I've learned enough that Gail, Paul, Jeff, et al, only have to call me out a few times a month, instead of several times per day. I take that as evidence of a bit of learnin' on my part. I got edumicated right quick, and largely due to participation. (Judging by my post-count, perhaps too much participation.)

Jeff's tailed off somewhat these days, which is a real shame because he's absolutely cracked it - he's got the knack of telling a poster what's up without causing offence. Not that the others haven't, just that they tend to focus on topics other than queries. I miss not seeing "Careful, now ..." after my posts because it always preceeded a valuable learning experience.

Heh... that reminds me. There are two reasons why I've tailed off a bit... first, lot's to do with the new job and haven't been able to spend the time that I used to spend on the forum. I'll get back into it once the new job settles down a bit. I've also got a half dozen large articles I'm behind on and the book I started to write has totally stalled.

The other reason is because of a phenomena that someone pointed out to me a while back... concepts such as the Tally Table (and cteTally), extreme date and string manipulations, CROSS TABS/Pivots, CROSS APPLY, CTE's in general, XML concatenation, etc, etc, ad infinitum, all used to be considered to be some fairly to very advanced topics that only a few people could (or would) answer. Those topics are no longer "advanced topics" because of the articles of many authors and especially because of the great efforts of all you good folks have put into helping not only other, but each other (and me), as well. As a result, by the time I get to a post, 3 or 4 other folks have already jumped all over the post with absolutely great answers and I didn't want to pad my post count with hundreds of "Great Job" posts each day. πŸ™‚

Here's to all (raises a beer as a salute) that have ever taken the time to write a helpful post or article... well done one and all. Let's make 2012 the best year for helping folks that any other previous or future forum will ever see. πŸ™‚ Ignore the trolls, remember that people asking questions usually really need the help, and that not everyone knows how to ask a question. πŸ™‚ To wit, some of you folks have the patience of Job and my hat is off to you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, I just fielded a question where someone was asking about your Million Rows of Test Data thing. Still planning on writing that?

Property of The Thread

• Jeff Moden (1/12/2012)

ChrisM@home (1/12/2012)

GSquared (1/12/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/12/2012)

GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Bex (1/12/2012)

From someone who is a lurker on this site, I take the attitude that if I ask for free help and I don't like the reponses I am getting, I am free to go pay for some I do like elsewhere. I was taught that good manners cost nothing, and as I got older discovered that there are a lot of tech forums where advice and help is also free, providing you 'help them to help you'.

Fantastic. Please feel free to lurk less and post more, your attitude is unfortunately rare these days

Ditto.

And remember, the more you post, the more you learn. Even if you're wrong, if you're willing to be corrected, your knowledge will increase by leaps and bounds more than if you just read. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Re-ditto.

I started out by posting answers straight off the bat a few years ago. Boy did I need a lot of correction back then! WOW!

I was actually looking at the discussions on my audit trails articles just yesterday. Posted those articles in '08. Wow! They definitely needed a lot of correction. Someone in the forum had to tell me what a server-side trace was, for example.

Learned a LOT from corrections, et al, to what I posted. Jeff is the main one I remember flinging more than a few porkchops my way.

These days, I've learned enough that Gail, Paul, Jeff, et al, only have to call me out a few times a month, instead of several times per day. I take that as evidence of a bit of learnin' on my part. I got edumicated right quick, and largely due to participation. (Judging by my post-count, perhaps too much participation.)

Jeff's tailed off somewhat these days, which is a real shame because he's absolutely cracked it - he's got the knack of telling a poster what's up without causing offence. Not that the others haven't, just that they tend to focus on topics other than queries. I miss not seeing "Careful, now ..." after my posts because it always preceeded a valuable learning experience.

Heh... that reminds me. There are two reasons why I've tailed off a bit... first, lot's to do with the new job and haven't been able to spend the time that I used to spend on the forum. I'll get back into it once the new job settles down a bit. I've also got a half dozen large articles I'm behind on and the book I started to write has totally stalled.

The other reason is because of a phenomena that someone pointed out to me a while back... concepts such as the Tally Table (and cteTally), extreme date and string manipulations, CROSS TABS/Pivots, CROSS APPLY, CTE's in general, XML concatenation, etc, etc, ad infinitum, all used to be considered to be some fairly to very advanced topics that only a few people could (or would) answer. Those topics are no longer "advanced topics" because of the articles of many authors and especially because of the great efforts of all you good folks have put into helping not only other, but each other (and me), as well. As a result, by the time I get to a post, 3 or 4 other folks have already jumped all over the post with absolutely great answers and I didn't want to pad my post count with hundreds of "Great Job" posts each day. πŸ™‚

Here's to all (raises a beer as a salute) that have ever taken the time to write a helpful post or article... well done one and all. Let's make 2012 the best year for helping folks that any other previous or future forum will ever see. πŸ™‚ Ignore the trolls, remember that people asking questions usually really need the help, and that not everyone knows how to ask a question. πŸ™‚ To wit, some of you folks have the patience of Job and my hat is off to you.

Not sure about the patience of Job, but we do try to help those who need help.

• David Burrows (1/12/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

I have a four letter word in mind for him in regards to his 2+2 question:-D

Five! ???? :w00t:

Only for significantly large values of 2. πŸ˜›

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I tried to engage in a meaningful way. It didn't work. I'm way done. Sorry for feeding the troll. Lesson learned until next time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (1/12/2012)

I tried to engage in a meaningful way. It didn't work. I'm way done. Sorry for feeding the troll. Lesson learned until next time.

What exactly did you try that didn't work?

πŸ˜‰

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 33,616 through 33,630 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply