Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Some people can't be helped, or don't want to. The best thing in that thread, and in others, is to post one answer, then drop it. Don't chime in to show him he's wrong, don't add to the argument. He/she isn't going to agree to like what you say, so the best way to handle it is to ignore him/her.

• GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Errrrr... Someone(s) want to tackle this? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1234441-61-1.aspx

You got me sucked into it. I even answered one of his other questions. I hope I answered it right.

I think I'm correct when I say the the people on this thread make an effort to be professional when we answer questions, and that we ALL want SSC to be well-respected by everyone. Unfortunately there are those that can't be satisfied.

• SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

I have a four letter word in mind for him in regards to his 2+2 question:-D

Five! ???? :w00t:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/12/2012)

Some people can't be helped, or don't want to. The best thing in that thread, and in others, is to post one answer, then drop it. Don't chime in to show him he's wrong, don't add to the argument. He/she isn't going to agree to like what you say, so the best way to handle it is to ignore him/her.

I think the first reply there should have been "Don't feed the troll", and that whole thread would be the better for it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/12/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/12/2012)

Some people can't be helped, or don't want to. The best thing in that thread, and in others, is to post one answer, then drop it. Don't chime in to show him he's wrong, don't add to the argument. He/she isn't going to agree to like what you say, so the best way to handle it is to ignore him/her.

I think the first reply there should have been "Don't feed the troll", and that whole thread would be the better for it.

Maybe but it wouldn't right for other people reading that later on.

He seems troll-ish, but I've had other posters that looked like that and they were just feeling miserable, suicidale, so I prefer to avoid that confrontation if possible.

• David Burrows (1/12/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

I have a four letter word in mind for him in regards to his 2+2 question:-D

Five! ???? :w00t:

You got my top two

Five and woot

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (1/12/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/12/2012)

GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Bex (1/12/2012)

From someone who is a lurker on this site, I take the attitude that if I ask for free help and I don't like the reponses I am getting, I am free to go pay for some I do like elsewhere. I was taught that good manners cost nothing, and as I got older discovered that there are a lot of tech forums where advice and help is also free, providing you 'help them to help you'.

Fantastic. Please feel free to lurk less and post more, your attitude is unfortunately rare these days

Ditto.

And remember, the more you post, the more you learn. Even if you're wrong, if you're willing to be corrected, your knowledge will increase by leaps and bounds more than if you just read. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Re-ditto.

I started out by posting answers straight off the bat a few years ago. Boy did I need a lot of correction back then! WOW!

I was actually looking at the discussions on my audit trails articles just yesterday. Posted those articles in '08. Wow! They definitely needed a lot of correction. Someone in the forum had to tell me what a server-side trace was, for example.

Learned a LOT from corrections, et al, to what I posted. Jeff is the main one I remember flinging more than a few porkchops my way.

These days, I've learned enough that Gail, Paul, Jeff, et al, only have to call me out a few times a month, instead of several times per day. I take that as evidence of a bit of learnin' on my part. I got edumicated right quick, and largely due to participation. (Judging by my post-count, perhaps too much participation.)

Jeff's tailed off somewhat these days, which is a real shame because he's absolutely cracked it - he's got the knack of telling a poster what's up without causing offence. Not that the others haven't, just that they tend to focus on topics other than queries. I miss not seeing "Careful, now ..." after my posts because it always preceeded a valuable learning experience.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Anyone familiar with SQLCMD able to help out here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1232815-391-1.aspx?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Since we all obviously post just for the points, can we get a new title/rank added?

Let's call it SQL EGO

πŸ˜€

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

Since we all obviously post just for the points, can we get a new title/rank added?

Let's call it SQL EGO

πŸ˜€

SELQO

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/12/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

Since we all obviously post just for the points, can we get a new title/rank added?

Let's call it SQL EGO

πŸ˜€

SELQO

That looks like it'd be pronounced "Cel-Ko"

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/12/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/12/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

Let's call it SQL EGO

πŸ˜€

SELQO

I have no idea what you're talking about :Whistling:

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/12/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/12/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2012)

Let's call it SQL EGO

πŸ˜€

SELQO

I was thinking the same thing!

• I'm going to continue posting, reading and answering questions on this site for one simple reason: I learn as much if not more than those that I've helped. Either from someone else posting a superior solution or simply from attempting to answer the question in the first place.

This site is great and the majority of the posters (I can only think of three regular posters that don't) that attempt to answer questions do so with a great amount of patience in helping others to understand their solution.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• +1 - perfect wording, Cadavre

Viewing 15 posts - 33,601 through 33,615 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply