Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Lol.

My problem is the shipping costs. They start at $60... Maybe next time I'm in going to be in the US I order stuff and have it shipped to the hotel

Hmm. There may be a way around that, Gail. One of us in the U.S. might be able to play go-between and ship it to you cheaper than the company will ship. I'd have to check postage rates to be sure, though.

It's not postage, ThinkGeek uses couriers. Post = risky.

Really? I did not know that. Edit: I'm learning a lot of interesting little facts this week...

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Lol.

My problem is the shipping costs. They start at $60... Maybe next time I'm in going to be in the US I order stuff and have it shipped to the hotel

Hmm. There may be a way around that, Gail. One of us in the U.S. might be able to play go-between and ship it to you cheaper than the company will ship. I'd have to check postage rates to be sure, though.

Really? I did not know that.

What, that they use couriers (outside of the US) or that post is risky?

In the last year, one parcel from the US just disappeared in the post (from Paul Randal) and another was returned to sender without ever having appeared here. A friend ordered a couple books from Amazon, they never arrived, nor did the replacement shipment that amazon sent. I've ordered a bokken and jo set that disappeared into think air (probably literally in that case)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Lol.

Really? I did not know that.

What, that they use couriers (outside of the US) or that post is risky?

In the last year, one parcel from the US just disappeared in the post (from Paul Randal) and another was returned to sender without ever having appeared here. A friend ordered a couple books from Amazon, they never arrived, nor did the replacement shipment that amazon sent. I've ordered a bokken and jo set that disappeared into think air (probably literally in that case)

Maybe the mailman needed to defend himself and then lost the wrapper/address? 😉

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

Is it bad I originally misread the link and thought it said 'sex frustrations' as the folder?

😀 I've been tempted to get that one for a while when I was DBA'ing. The problem is they'd never let me wear a T-Shirt in the office except on Saturdays which would have been against the entire dang point...

I had a co-worker once upon a time that had that shirt. He was told he could no longer wear it to work because an end-user complained.

He also had a shirt "I see dead pixels". That shirt was forbidden as well.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/11/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

Is it bad I originally misread the link and thought it said 'sex frustrations' as the folder?

😀 I've been tempted to get that one for a while when I was DBA'ing. The problem is they'd never let me wear a T-Shirt in the office except on Saturdays which would have been against the entire dang point...

I had a co-worker once upon a time that had that shirt. He was told he could no longer wear it to work because an end-user complained.

I work from home now, but used to go to the office in a sweatshirt with Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I'd tell people that's how our users saw us. No less subtle than "I see dead pixels", but never heard a complaint.

• john.arnott (1/11/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/11/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

I work from home now, but used to go to the office in a sweatshirt with Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I'd tell people that's how our users saw us. No less subtle than "I see dead pixels", but never heard a complaint.

IMHO, dead pixels should have been a non-issue.

Learn Extended Events

• Wasn't there a band named the Sex Pixels?

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Errrrr... Someone(s) want to tackle this? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1234441-61-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Errrrr... Someone(s) want to tackle this? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1234441-61-1.aspx

Already responded. I'm waiting to see his answer before continuing.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• mtillman-921105 (1/11/2012)

Wasn't there a band named the Sex Pixels?

haha

Learn Extended Events

Errrrr... Someone(s) want to tackle this? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1234441-61-1.aspx

Hope that helps.

Learn Extended Events

• Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

I just had a look over his posting history, surprised he gets any answers at all.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

I just had a look over his posting history, surprised he gets any answers at all.

Yikes. Serious attitude problem. I just don't understand why people jump ugly when they're asking for help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (1/12/2012)

GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

Yikes. Serious attitude problem. I just don't understand why people jump ugly when they're asking for help.

From someone who is a lurker on this site, I take the attitude that if I ask for free help and I don't like the reponses I am getting, I am free to go pay for some I do like elsewhere. I was taught that good manners cost nothing, and as I got older discovered that there are a lot of tech forums where advice and help is also free, providing you 'help them to help you'.

imho (and I may be very wrong), I got the impression the op was almost suggesting that some people post replies asking questions as a form of ego, whereas I (and most posters here) see them for what they are; "help us to help you".

I just know that if I am ever in a situation that overwhelms me and that BOL and Googling can't help me with, I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone who is trying to help me asks. I'm owed nothing, and that so many people give of their time and expertise is something I am very, very grateful for (I often come to this site before Google and have solved quite a few issues through answers to previously answered questions).

- apologies for ramble, I just felt quite strongly about it.

Bex

• Bex (1/12/2012)

Grant Fritchey (1/12/2012)

GilaMonster (1/12/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

GilaMonster (1/11/2012)

From someone who is a lurker on this site, I take the attitude that if I ask for free help and I don't like the reponses I am getting, I am free to go pay for some I do like elsewhere. I was taught that good manners cost nothing, and as I got older discovered that there are a lot of tech forums where advice and help is also free, providing you 'help them to help you'.

imho (and I may be very wrong), I got the impression the op was almost suggesting that some people post replies asking questions as a form of ego, whereas I (and most posters here) see them for what they are; "help us to help you".

I just know that if I am ever in a situation that overwhelms me and that BOL and Googling can't help me with, I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone who is trying to help me asks. I'm owed nothing, and that so many people give of their time and expertise is something I am very, very grateful for (I often come to this site before Google and have solved quite a few issues through answers to previously answered questions).

- apologies for ramble, I just felt quite strongly about it.

Bex

Not a ramble. Excellent points. I've never understood the complaints about questions. If I don't understand your question and I'm not sitting at your desk with access to your system, I'm going to have to ask for clarification. What's the complaint there? Hmmm... may go over & ask the OP what the thought process is around that one. I'm curious.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 33,571 through 33,585 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply