Are the posted questions getting worse?

• DBA - Does Bu**er All

as some of my co-workers try to tell me ๐Ÿ˜›

• DBA - Don't Believe Anyone.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Brandie Tarvin (3/11/2011)

hor_netuk (3/11/2011)

My experience. - At interview, the technical interviewer expressed dislike of acronym use. The non-technical interviewer replied, "funnily enough, I didn't know what DBA stood for until you applied for the post to be created." I think you can guess my job title. ๐Ÿ™‚

DBA - Doing Business As

When people find out I'm a DBA, I get the "doing business as what, exactly?" question way too often.

I get that too. They find my job title is "DBA <company name here>" and assume I'm self-employed.

Half of them don't understand the job title even if I don't use the acronym, so it doesn't seem to matter much which way I go on that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Ian Scarlett (3/11/2011)

DBA - Does Bu**er All

And here I thought the usual insult on it was "Database A**hole".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I usually have called myself the data janitor. Makes people laugh and disarms them a bit from the last DBA being too self-important.

• GSquared (3/11/2011)

Ian Scarlett (3/11/2011)

DBA - Does Bu**er All

And here I thought the usual insult on it was "Database A**hole".

That's certainly what some of my colleagues thought when I started forcing security changes and working towards removing rampant sa access to our production servers...

-Ki

• I usually tell people I'm a database weenie, for the same reason.

I usually have called myself the data janitor. Makes people laugh and disarms them a bit from the last DBA being too self-important.

• Hey Threadizens, I have a question that will be very simple for all of you but pretty hard for me since I am very weak with T-SQL. Please do share your thoughts. Performance is not an issue here since this is just a one time shot.

-Roy

• I signed off two official design documents back at the bank as "Database Overlord". No one commented.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Roy Ernest (3/11/2011)

Hey Threadizens, I have a question that will be very simple for all of you but pretty hard for me since I am very weak with T-SQL. Please do share your thoughts. Performance is not an issue here since this is just a one time shot.

Answered. Let me know if you have questions on how I coded it.

Property of The Thread

• GilaMonster (3/11/2011)

I signed off two official design documents back at the bank as "Database Overlord". No one commented.

I, for one, welcome our new reptilian overlords ....

(Now I can't remember where I first ran into that.)

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/11/2011)

GilaMonster (3/11/2011)

I signed off two official design documents back at the bank as "Database Overlord". No one commented.

It's from the Simpsons. Kent Brockman keeps getting passed fake news announcements that something or other has taken over the world. "I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords."

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (3/11/2011)

GSquared (3/11/2011)

GilaMonster (3/11/2011)

It's from the Simpsons. Kent Brockman keeps getting passed fake news announcements that something or other has taken over the world. "I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords."

It is insects. They're covering a shuttle flight that Homer is on and he's cracked open an ant farm that's part of one of the science experiments on board. When they go to the shuttle camera and ant is right in front of the lens and looks huge. They cut the feed and Brockman welcomes our new Insect Overlords. Later he has a banner proclaiming the same behind him.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GSquared (3/11/2011)

GilaMonster (3/11/2011)

Hm, might be from V, the original series. I haven't seen it in soo long though...

I'll usually tell people I'm the DataBase Annoyance until they realize I'm actually helpful... same reasons as above. A lot of folks I tend to follow have rocked the boat pretty hard instead of working with the business/coders to show why things should be done a certain way.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/11/2011)

Grant Fritchey (3/11/2011)

GSquared (3/11/2011)

GilaMonster (3/11/2011)

It is insects. They're covering a shuttle flight that Homer is on and he's cracked open an ant farm that's part of one of the science experiments on board. When they go to the shuttle camera and ant is right in front of the lens and looks huge. They cut the feed and Brockman welcomes our new Insect Overlords. Later he has a banner proclaiming the same behind him.

I'm pretty sure he did one on robots too... hang on...

Nope. I'm wrong. It's just insects on the Simpsons and everything else from the rest of the planet.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 24,586 through 24,600 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply