Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

We actually have annual contests to see who can guess the most acronyms, and we pass out a list to new hires so they're not completely clueless. Has over 200 on the list.

Please tell me that AL (Acronym List) is not on there. Please. Please.

Chad

• Chad Crawford (3/10/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

We actually have annual contests to see who can guess the most acronyms, and we pass out a list to new hires so they're not completely clueless. Has over 200 on the list.

Chad

Surely if it were there it would have to be SRAL (Self Referential Acronym List)?

AL is horribly ambiguous, of course - for example AL in the 7 layer model is Application Layer, it's a US state, its an ISO country code, and in fact there are (I think) comfortably over 200 things that AL is regularly used for.

SRAL is not nearly as bad - fewer meanings by a factor of at least 10 - but is still far from unambiguous.

Of course there are some real horrors, with getting on for 500 common uses. Acronyms are often a bad idea because they are so thoroughly ambiguous. πŸ˜‰

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (3/10/2011)

Chad Crawford (3/10/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

Chad

Surely if it were there it would have to be SRAL (Self Referential Acronym List)?

AL is horribly ambiguous, of course - for example AL in the 7 layer model is Application Layer, it's a US state, its an ISO country code, and in fact there are (I think) comfortably over 200 things that AL is regularly used for.

SRAL is not nearly as bad - fewer meanings by a factor of at least 10 - but is still far from unambiguous.

Of course there are some real horrors, with getting on for 500 common uses. Acronyms are often a bad idea because they are so thoroughly ambiguous. πŸ˜‰

They are indeed. There's a table here that I keep wanting to abbreviate as FTP. Surely that would never cause confusion!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

I have no idea what you're talking about, I mean, I work for it... you known, that creepy clown spider from Steven King? That and IS IT departments causing problems, or something else related to IT?

Guess it's just snafu, and what you're used to, when you deal with it.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

Chad

And thus was born "AA" (Acronym Ambiguity), which is recursively a violation of the whole concept it expresses! How cool is that!

We can "join AA" by using AAs (Ambiguous Acronyms), or state that "we are avoiding AA". The list of MAs (Misuse/Abuses) just goes on and on! (I'm assuming "AA" is a socially meaningful acronym outside the States. Does it carry the same "most common use" elsewhere? If not, that whole joke loses a lot of meaning.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

*note to self - don't go to any meals with Gus

Aw, he's not that bad!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (3/10/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

*note to self - don't go to any meals with Gus

Aw, he's not that bad!

...said Stumpy...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (3/10/2011)

Tom.Thomson (3/10/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

Chad

And thus was born "AA" (Acronym Ambiguity), which is recursively a violation of the whole concept it expresses! How cool is that!

We can "join AA" by using AAs (Ambiguous Acronyms), or state that "we are avoiding AA". The list of MAs (Misuse/Abuses) just goes on and on! (I'm assuming "AA" is a socially meaningful acronym outside the States. Does it carry the same "most common use" elsewhere? If not, that whole joke loses a lot of meaning.)

See, now I have to add all of those just to see if anyone notices...

I'm still working on my master plan of successfully naming a project A.C.R.O.N.Y.M., haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

In all seriousness, it's disturbing when license plates begin to have hidden meaning to you.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

I'm still working on my master plan of successfully naming a project A.C.R.O.N.Y.M., haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

You mean the unit of

Assault Crimes of Regular Officers in New York, Manhattan?

πŸ˜›

Growing up in New York, Acronym was easy to make fun of. There's a lot worse out there... πŸ˜€

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/10/2011)

GSquared (3/10/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (3/10/2011)

It's the Attack of the Acronyms!

Two years ago, we implemented a new process that uses the acronym "RI". I've been working on that process ever since. I've gotten so ingrained in it, that when a developer asked me how the Truncate Table command would work with RI, I spent two minutes trying to figure out what heck he was talking about. Our process doesn't care about T-SQL commands.

<headdesk>.

GAH. I hate that my first thought was process related, not referential integrity related. I am losing my techiness! Someone help me!

To truncate a table in Rhode Island, you first get a chainsaw, then you lock the chairs so no one new can sit down at the table, unless they use the NoLock feature as they sit (and then they deserve what they get, right?). Then you wait for everyone who has a properly locked seat at the table to finish eating and talking and get up. Lock each chair as it is vacated. When all you have left is either empty chairs, or chairs occupied by the NoLock people, you fire up the chainsaw and get to work.

Right?

Close, but in Rhode Island a "Table" is a large hamburger. And you "truncate" it by eating it.

OK, so I'm guessing here, but remember this is the state that calls a milkshake a "cabinet".

Heh... that's just "Awful, Awful". πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• ALZDBA (3/10/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (3/10/2011)

GilaMonster (3/10/2011)

I'm talking about the case where someone starts a new thread solely to say "Hey everyone, I wrote an awesome blog post on XYZ, go read it!!!!!"

I should start a brand new blog to tell everyone I'm writing awesome blog posts on my current blog... @=)

(Brandie hides behind Jeff.) Protect me from the lizard! @=)

This lizard doesn't punch, but it bites and is poisonous :hehe:

Fortunately Jeff has been immunized by time.:hehe:

Actually, the immunization occurred as a result of multiple bites. You know the old saying, "If it doesn't kill ya , it makes you stronger." That and a good thick layer of pork chop grease. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/9/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/9/2011)

Steve, are you aware that you're sitting on a gold mine? Your barn could power Denver!

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/03/from-the-farmyard-to-the-powerplant.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Not sure it's a "gold" mine, but I need to get me one of those things. We have no shortage of fuel around here.

BWAA-HAA!!! HOOO-IIEEE!!! Until I remembered that you have horses, I though you were talking about this thread! πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Chris Morris-439714 (3/7/2011)

SQLkiwi (3/4/2011)

Exciting day - just had my first Simple Talk article published:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/understanding-and-using-parallelism-in-sql-server/

Good lord Paul, they get better and better. You have an enviable skill, like Jeff M, at making the arcane accessible and understandable for us mere mortals.

I missed this before... thanks for placing me in the company of such a brilliant writer. :blush:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GSquared (3/10/2011)

Tom.Thomson (3/10/2011)

jcrawf02 (3/10/2011)

Chad

LOL. My experience. - At interview, the technical interviewer expressed dislike of acronym use. The non-technical interviewer replied, "funnily enough, I didn't know what DBA stood for until you applied for the post to be created." I think you can guess my job title. πŸ™‚

• hor_netuk (3/11/2011)

My experience. - At interview, the technical interviewer expressed dislike of acronym use. The non-technical interviewer replied, "funnily enough, I didn't know what DBA stood for until you applied for the post to be created." I think you can guess my job title. πŸ™‚

DBA - Doing Business As

When people find out I'm a DBA, I get the "doing business as what, exactly?" question way too often.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 24,571 through 24,585 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply