Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend (those of us who got one).

In the spirit of changing the water cooler topic (and for those who missed the thread I posted this on), I have a fun link you may not have seen.

The bacteria. It is stealing our jobs!!!

http://2010.igem.org/Team:UT-Tokyo/Sudoku_abstract

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• In other news...

The project from hell (the one that I spent evenings, nights and weekends on to try and meet impossible deadlines) has had the go-live date pushed out from beginning Dec to early January (by the business owner). Why? No reason, just because.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/29/2010)

In other news...

The project from hell (the one that I spent evenings, nights and weekends on to try and meet impossible deadlines) has had the go-live date pushed out from beginning Dec to early January (by the business owner). Why? No reason, just because.

So they make you work 24/7 and then push it off. Nice. Just like how it goes here. It is not a priority anymore, but here is a new project that has to be completed as of yesterday... 😀 Everywhere I guess it is the same sh**.

-Roy

In other news...

Maybe they want to add some new enhancements.

Finally some sanity, and it has everyone on edge.

Our suggestion got tanked. The most common response - that just makes too much sense.:-D

Greg E

• Greg Edwards-268690 (11/29/2010)

Nope. No new enhancements. I think that a Dec go-live interferes with vacation plans

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Greg Edwards-268690 (11/29/2010)

Nope. No new enhancements. I think that a Dec go-live interferes with vacation plans

Exactly! I regularly have to remind our local project managers, "Uhm, do you really think trying to release on December 23rd is a good idea? Will you be available if there's an outage on the 24th?" Same thing with almost any other holiday too, but it's especially surprising at Yule.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (11/29/2010)

GilaMonster (11/29/2010)

Greg Edwards-268690 (11/29/2010)

Exactly! I regularly have to remind our local project managers, "Uhm, do you really think trying to release on December 23rd is a good idea? Will you be available if there's an outage on the 24th?" Same thing with almost any other holiday too, but it's especially surprising at Yule.

In this case is was supposed to be 1st December. I would certainly have been available if there had been a problem.

At the bank we used to have a full system freeze (NOTHING changed) from 16 December through to the 2nd week of January.

Gail Shaw

• Well, I took a major tech break over my Thanksgiving holiday. The only time my computer was on since I left work last Wednesday was Thursday afternoon when we were Skypeing with Nannie in New England.

• The bank hasn't changed yet, Gail. We are going live on the 16th with our phase 1C. Then nothing till 16 February.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

In other news...

Maybe the business owner read the thread, and realized that 1. they were screwed up, and 2. you like to play with long, sharp pointy things, and decided not to risk it. 😀

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jack Corbett (11/29/2010)

Well, I took a major tech break over my Thanksgiving holiday. The only time my computer was on since I left work last Wednesday was Thursday afternoon when we were Skypeing with Nannie in New England.

Great! did you feel like you were missing something, or was it a relief?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jan Van der Eecken (11/29/2010)

The bank hasn't changed yet, Gail. We are going live on the 16th with our phase 1C. Then nothing till 16 February.

Makes sense. Late Dec is the last time you want to do a system change, with the increased usage before christmas and half the staff on leave.

I remember when a network change (how the hell it got authorised I have no idea) took down the entire ATM network for 8 or so hours, the entire corporate network for several hours and left internet banking offline for more than a day. On the 20th December.

Gail Shaw

• Greg Edwards-268690 (11/24/2010)

All this Joe talk has me thinking Whack A Mole....

Alvin -

I seem to also recall some steakhouse where you could get an insanely large piece of meat.

Like 60 oz.....and the smallest was a 8 oz filet.

Greg E

That doesn't ring as bell. I'm not the most knowlegeable on steakhouses.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

In other news...

Sounds like an excellent reason.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/29/2010)

GilaMonster (11/29/2010)

In other news...

Sounds like an excellent reason.

"Sir, we're screwed, the contractor was right!"

"Well, under all that's holy don't let THEM know that, peon!"

"Of course sir, we've made it a 'vague managemental decision'."

"Good peon. Back to the pits."

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 21,931 through 21,945 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply