Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/26/2010)

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Hmmm. I found a post of Celko where he says that he is the way he is online because he uses the "tear them down to build them back up" approach. Like in the Jesuit college (or in the army).

Where is that link?

That makes a little sense. I think to build them back up, you would have to revisit the post.

Which he rarely does.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home (11/26/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (11/26/2010)

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Hmmm. I found a post of Celko where he says that he is the way he is online because he uses the "tear them down to build them back up" approach. Like in the Jesuit college (or in the army).

Where is that link?

That makes a little sense. I think to build them back up, you would have to revisit the post.

Which he rarely does.

He might expect us to do it. Who knows.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Where is that link?

True or not, can you imagine if everyone did that? :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (11/26/2010)

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Where is that link?

True or not, can you imagine if everyone did that? :sick:

Which is why some of us seem so willing to try and work with those difficult OP's that insist on fighting us as we try to help them. Takes a while, but it seems to work out in the end more often than not.

• Celko is Celko. He has written a lot, and very well, on SQL and standards. However he's an anachronism, a throwback to the past when there were few online resources, and his style as the dictator decreeing solutions would work.

I dislike the way he engages people, but it's not terribly different than that I see of some other people. I advise just ignoring him, advising the OP to do the same, and helping answer questions.

• BTW, no idea what's happening in this thread, and not about to go through a few hundred posts over the last week. If there's something I should know, let me know.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/26/2010)

Celko is Celko. He has written a lot, and very well, on SQL and standards. However he's an anachronism, a throwback to the past when there were few online resources, and his style as the dictator decreeing solutions would work.

I dislike the way he engages people, but it's not terribly different than that I see of some other people. I advise just ignoring him, advising the OP to do the same, and helping answer questions.

Steve, aren't you supposed to be on Holiday till Monday? ...at least that's what in your auto-reply.

We now have to re-schedule our online-party plans :crying:

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

BTW, no idea what's happening in this thread, and not about to go through a few hundred posts over the last week. If there's something I should know, let me know.

Unless someone else can think of something, nothing really earth shattering, just the normal warer cooler banter.

BTW, no idea what's happening in this thread, and not about to go through a few hundred posts over the last week. If there's something I should know, let me know.

The link in Jeffs post started it. It didn't cross the line from my point of view, so no administrative action required. This time Celko didn't follow his own rules in his reply and got called for it.

Lutz

• LutzM (11/26/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/26/2010)

The link in Jeffs post started it. It didn't cross the line from my point of view, so no administrative action required. This time Celko didn't follow his own rules in his reply and got called for it.

BWAA-HAA!!! Nothing like ratting me out to the Boss! 😛 Now I have to wait for Steve's email to tell me not to hassle the poor ol' respondents. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Were you gone? 😀

Seriously, Celko being his obnoxious blowhard self, chastising an OP for not following ISO naming standards, then in the same post creating a sample that didn't follow said standards. Obligatory chastising followed of Celko by the regulars.

Or, in other words, SSDD (Same S***, Different Day)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden (11/26/2010)

BWAA-HAA!!! Nothing like ratting me out to the Boss! 😛 Now I have to wait for Steve's email to tell me not to hassle the poor ol' respondents. :hehe:

Ratting you? Naaaa! Recommending for an award, that'd be true!

Lutz

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Where is that link?

Here you go:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31278985/the-arrogance-of-celko-.aspx

Look for the comment with the title: passionate responses on both sides ...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (11/27/2010)

da-zero (11/26/2010)

Where is that link?

Here you go:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31278985/the-arrogance-of-celko-.aspx

Look for the comment with the title: passionate responses on both sides ...

All I can say is... OMG.

It's folks like him (well, actually, it's just him) that make me sometimes wish that this was a moderated forum... but then, this wouldn't be the SSC we all know and love.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• LutzM (11/26/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/26/2010)

Celko is Celko. He has written a lot, and very well, on SQL and standards. However he's an anachronism, a throwback to the past when there were few online resources, and his style as the dictator decreeing solutions would work.

Steve, aren't you supposed to be on Holiday till Monday? ...at least that's what in your auto-reply.

We now have to re-schedule our online-party plans :crying:

LOL, looking to start my ski winter with a day a week off, so trying to get slightly ahead today, in between loads of laundry.

Viewing 15 posts - 21,916 through 21,930 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply