Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (11/24/2010)

WayneS (11/24/2010)

Craig Farrell (11/24/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (11/24/2010)

jcrawf02 (11/24/2010)

Should we point out that his view solution doesn't *just* give you the duplicates? 😉

Yes - fire away!!!!!!!!!

I just ended up having to thump Joe over the head in another thread, too. I keep shoving the soapbox that Joe incites back under the couch, but it really wants to come out and play.

Craig - I thought about posting this over "there", but decided to keep this to us threadizens.

http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.php/DataMgmt/DataDesign/iso-11179-naming-conventions

(Just gotta love how it starts out by talking about you-know-who!)

How very perfect... I love such sources of big, fat, juicy, pork chops! This is going to be fun in the future and, as they said on one of my favorite shows, "We put the 'f-u' in 'fun'".

I am in anti-favor of part 5 of those standards. Working in databases like that is non-productive and a waste of time. Let's completely obscure all table names, column names, etc, etc, and etc.

However, it would be fun to implement the images portion of it someday for table names. Then when you expand tables in ssms you may end up with a nice little picture instead of a list. Woot!!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

It's a little out of character for me but I know you'll recognize the rhetoric. I just couldn't resist... it was too perfect. Enjoy... 😛

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1025567-392-1.aspx#bm1026289

Perfect response indeed.

Learn Extended Events

• Happy Thanksgiving to all, whether you celebrate it today or not! 😀

Thanks again for all the well-wishes. Once I get all the Dr visits done with I'm sure I'll feel better. Well, until the bills start rolling in....

• Happy Thanksgiving!

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• D.Oc (11/25/2010)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Except to the turkeys, hams and yams. Should be all happy for me though:w00t:

Learn Extended Events

It's a little out of character for me but I know you'll recognize the rhetoric. I just couldn't resist... it was too perfect. Enjoy... 😛

I just copied his code and shared it with the folks in my group as the new coding standard:

-> If you need to use a CTE, reference it by a single letter only

-> Use SELECT * wherever possible

-> Don't worry making table columns not nullable (e.g. employment_start_date), even if applicable

-> It's no problem to assign the same column name even if the context has changed: "MAX(employment_end_date) AS employment_end_date" is just fine.

-> Rely on implicit conversion and the rounding/truncation implied into wherever possible: (ROW_NUMBER +1 )/ 2

-> Feel free to use implicit qualified column names if you like. Mix it with qualified columns occasionally.

-> There is no need to assign a column name alias when using aggregation.

-> It is essential to deeply know and understand the difference between NUMERIC (p,s) and DECIMAL (p,s). Stop doing whatever you do right now and learn about it!

They stared at me like I'd be totally out of my mind. I just told them to have a look at the list of books he's referring to. So it must be THE standard and we need to change our code immediately. Tomorrow we'll have a meeting to get the paperwork done for requesting external help since we won't be able to do all the changes by ourselves. Anyone available to help us changing our sprocs to meet the Celko-Style?

True story? No, totally made up.... 😛

But on second thought, I might do it tomorrow. 😉

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (11/25/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2010)

I just copied his code and shared it with the folks in my group as the new coding standard:

-> Don't worry making table columns not nullable (e.g. employment_start_date), even if applicable

-> It's no problem to assign the same column name even if the context has changed: "MAX(employment_end_date) AS employment_end_date" is just fine.

-> Rely on implicit conversion and the rounding/truncation implied into wherever possible: (ROW_NUMBER +1 )/ 2

-> Feel free to use implicit qualified column names if you like. Mix it with qualified columns occasionally.

-> It is essential to deeply know and understand the difference between NUMERIC (p,s) and DECIMAL (p,s). Stop doing whatever you do right now and learn about it!

They stared at me like I'd be totally out of my mind. I just told them to have a look at the list of books he's referring to. So it must be THE standard and we need to change our code immediately. Tomorrow we'll have a meeting to get the paperwork done for requesting external help since we won't be able to do all the changes by ourselves. Anyone available to help us changing our sprocs to meet the Celko-Style?

Things like that are best reserved for April Fools.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/25/2010)

Jason, are you serious?? Do you really consider Mr. Celko's posts being the source of April Fools???? I urge you to read at least 5 of the books referenced in his numerous adverts. Errrmmm - sorry, I mean high quality replies, of course... :-D:-P

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/25/2010)

LutzM (11/25/2010)

Why? That makes far more sense than the latest so-called economic development plan coming out of the SA government.

Anyone know of any good DB dev jobs available in the UK?:unsure:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • LutzM (11/25/2010)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2010)

BWAA-HAA!!! Too funny, Lutz! I just spewed gravy and mashed potatoes all over my monitor! 😀

Between that post and his post on what books to recommend on math and logic, I really hope that he changes his mannerisms a bit. He's a smart man with a horrible ego and a lot of bad ideas. He really needs to humble down a bit if he actually wants to sell books. Personnally, I won't buy one because I loath his attitude and (frankly) most of his ideas.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I was going to ask you guys with the deal is with the Celko character, because I don't really know him. (Well, I've read an article or two from him and they were OK, I guess.)

But then I decided to use Google for a bit.

I found out that he has written several books (best-sellers according to the particular website). But nowadays this isn't really a reference any more, anyone can write a book these days. But he also has worked on some SQL standards. That should be good right? And DBMS Magazine Reader's Choice Award for four consecutive years. Not bad I'd think.

But then I came accross some forum posts of him. Now I need no explanation no more what the deal is with this guy. If people actually dedicate themselves to writing a multi-part blog series about his arrogance, then there is something wrong I think. (I especially love the 1000 parameters discussion).

(ps: I still love his wild-west-barkeeper appearence)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (11/26/2010)

I was going to ask you guys with the deal is with the Celko character, because I don't really know him. (Well, I've read an article or two from him and they were OK, I guess.)

But then I decided to use Google for a bit.

I found out that he has written several books (best-sellers according to the particular website). But nowadays this isn't really a reference any more, anyone can write a book these days. But he also has worked on some SQL standards. That should be good right? And DBMS Magazine Reader's Choice Award for four consecutive years. Not bad I'd think.

But then I came accross some forum posts of him. Now I need no explanation no more what the deal is with this guy. If people actually dedicate themselves to writing a multi-part blog series about his arrogance, then there is something wrong I think. (I especially love the 1000 parameters discussion).

(ps: I still love his wild-west-barkeeper appearence)

Amazing what a little bit of research reveals! And the funny thing is... according to all that have met him in person, he is quite a personable guy - it's his online persona that is so objectionable. He apparently dedicates large amounts of time to maintain this. That is the waste in all of this.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (11/26/2010)

And the funny thing is... according to all that have met him in person, he is quite a personable guy

Absolutely. Very polite, very soft spoken.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmmm. I found a post of Celko where he says that he is the way he is online because he uses the "tear them down to build them back up" approach. Like in the Jesuit college (or in the army).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (11/26/2010)

Hmmm. I found a post of Celko where he says that he is the way he is online because he uses the "tear them down to build them back up" approach. Like in the Jesuit college (or in the army).

Where is that link?

That makes a little sense. I think to build them back up, you would have to revisit the post.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 21,901 through 21,915 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply