D.Oc (8/13/2010)

Paul White NZ (8/13/2010)

D.Oc (8/13/2010)

The real Football just started...

Nah, the Rugby Tri-Nations is about halfway through already 🙂

don't get me wrong, I worship Rugby

but....

Then we can still be friends 😉

In fairness, I did go through a phase of watching quite a lot of NFL, but don't get a feed in NZ anymore 🙁

Then you should try one of these 3 links

1. 2. 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Lynn Pettis (8/13/2010)

D.Oc (8/13/2010)

The real Football just started, NFL Preseason. Just sayin' :Whistling:

Two Minutes Warning Clip

Not "real" football, American Football.

Guess where I'll be on August 29th? At my first Bronco game! Family gave me an early birthday present!

GO Broncos!

In case anyone is interested, we're trying to get together a (NFL!) fantasy football league here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic968428-61-1.aspx?Update=1

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

CirquedeSQLeil (8/13/2010)

Nothing like coming in to work to find out that the server team deployed patches to production boxes, caused an outage, didn't communicate that fact, and did not follow process and agreed upon schedule.

What? Schedule? Procedure? You're the DBA, you should always know what is going to occur!

(lol)

Schedule?

Procedure?

A Jedi craves not these things...

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (8/13/2010)

Lynn Pettis (8/13/2010)

Nothing like coming in to work to find out that the server team deployed patches to production boxes, caused an outage, didn't communicate that fact, and did not follow process and agreed upon schedule.

What? Schedule? Procedure? You're the DBA, you should always know what is going to occur!

(lol)

Schedule?

Procedure?

Forget the schedule.

Forget the procedures.

Just close your eyes and let the force guide you.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (8/13/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (8/13/2010)

Lynn Pettis (8/13/2010)

(lol)

Schedule?

Procedure?

Forget the schedule.

Forget the procedures.

Just close your eyes and let the force guide you.

We're not trying to become Sith lord are we?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm lucky, we've got the best server team here. At first I was hesitant about another group managing patches and the hardware, as a DBA I've been heavily involved with hardware in previous jobs. These men and women in our server department are real professionals. They actually follow the procedures and are good at communicating what and when they're doing it allowing me to focus on DBA tasks and not the server maintenance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

D.Oc (8/13/2010)

The real Football just started, NFL Preseason. Just sayin' :Whistling:

Two Minutes Warning Clip

Not "real" football, American Football.

Guess where I'll be on August 29th? At my first Bronco game! Family gave me an early birthday present!

GO Broncos!

Congrats, and enjoy!

And it is real football. Just not footsie ball.

• Survived Friday the 13th, with only a broken network port on my laptop. Glad I carry a spare.

• CirquedeSQLeil (8/13/2010)

And they say that DBA's shouldn't have privs on the box their SQL Server is on.:-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Paul White NZ (8/12/2010)

What sort of hint did you have in mind? Index hints don't work with table variables, and you can't give the PRIMARY KEY or UNIQUE constraints names anyway!

Heh... I removed it from the Running Total article and you've forgotten it already. 😉 Remember? From BOL...

If a clustered index exists, INDEX(0) forces a clustered index scan and INDEX(1) forces a clustered index scan or seek. If no clustered index exists, INDEX(0) forces a table scan and INDEX(1) is interpreted as an error.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• jcrawf02 (8/12/2010)

I'm sure that I read someone's blog/article about how table variables can be indexed during the declaration of the variable, and I think it was outside even of a primary key, but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody remember that/know where I could find it?

Found this, which is similar, but not exactly what I remembered.

Thx

Those are the only two ways I know of. They're both in BOL as well.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Just registered for SQLSat52. Sorry, couldn't pay for lunch, will have to fend for myself.

So who all is going to be there?

• Jeff Moden (8/13/2010)

Paul White NZ (8/12/2010)

What sort of hint did you have in mind? Index hints don't work with table variables, and you can't give the PRIMARY KEY or UNIQUE constraints names anyway!

Heh... I removed it from the Running Total article and you've forgotten it already. 😉 Remember? From BOL...

If a clustered index exists, INDEX(0) forces a clustered index scan and INDEX(1) forces a clustered index scan or seek. If no clustered index exists, INDEX(0) forces a table scan and INDEX(1) is interpreted as an error.

As if I would forget that! Index hints just don't work at all with table variables: not even INDEX(number). You get a syntax error if you try it 😛

Even the new 2K8 OPTION (TABLE HINT...) clause is ignored (or produces an error in some cases):

DECLARE @T TABLE (A INT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, B INT NOT NULL UNIQUE, C CHAR DEFAULT 'Z');

INSERT @T (A, B) VALUES (1, 1), (2, 2), (3, 3);

WITH CTE AS (SELECT * FROM @T)

SELECT B, C

FROM CTE

WHERE B = 2

OPTION (TABLE HINT(CTE, INDEX(0)))

Despite the INDEX(0) hint, the plan uses a non-clustered seek plus bookmark lookup on the UNIQUE index instead.

I voted for your PASS session, I hope you get selected - I'm intrigued to see your new hierarchy idea.

Paul

• Lynn Pettis (8/14/2010)

Just registered for SQLSat52. Sorry, couldn't pay for lunch, will have to fend for myself.

So who all is going to be there?

I won't be. That's a bit too far for me.

I just registered for SQL Saturday #51 inn Nashville on Aug 21st. Anybody else from going to be there?

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Greg Edwards-268690 (8/13/2010)

P.S. If you're in the Memphis area tonight, come join us for:

Dan Evans - Creating an EPM Environment Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and SharePoint 2010

Check our humble website for more details: http://Mem-PASS.org

I don't suppose I got lucky and this was recorded?

Exactly where we are headed, working on building a dev environment to play with.

Greg E

Greg, Dan will be presenting this again at SQL Saturday #51 in Nashvilee, on Aug 21st.

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 17,461 through 17,475 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply