Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Chris Morris-439714 (8/2/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (8/2/2010)

BTW, my hourly rate is around 11 euros (14 dollars).

That's shocking. Why so low? What's the going rate for a dba in your area?

I've just Jobserved SQL Server DBA in Reading, England +- 25 miles, the result was 5 pages with an average £350 per day. Look around, confirm what you are worth. If you are earning significantly less then there has to be an awfully good reason.

I repeated your search on jobserve and there are lots of £34-38K jobs. Pay your taxes, you get my rate.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• The UK market is not buoyant by any means , and the pound is pretty worthless at the moment, but you should easily be able to double that rate here. Im assuming that you are an Italian national, so no visa issues......

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (8/2/2010)

BTW, my hourly rate is around 11 euros (14 dollars).

Yup, this would be correct rate for the rest of the Euro zone also (France, Germany, Spain), maybe slightly higher.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

What exactly are you americans doing at work that makes you worth all that money?

Heh... we don't get to keep all that. Most of us work the first 4 months of the year just to pay taxes and benefits.

Let's compare, though. A "quaint" starter home with a couple of bedrooms and one bathroom and a small kitchen goes for somewhere between 150k and 250k USD (California is insanely higher so we won't include them). What do they go for where you're at? That could explain a lot.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/2/2010)

What exactly are you americans doing at work that makes you worth all that money?

Heh... we don't get to keep all that. Most of us work the first 4 months of the year just to pay taxes and benefits.

Let's compare, though. A "quaint" starter home with a couple of bedrooms and one bathroom and a small kitchen goes for somewhere between 150k and 250k USD (California is insanely higher so we won't include them). What do they go for where you're at? That could explain a lot.

Somewhere between £200,000 (~$315,000) and £300,000 (~$475,000). We love to screw our citizens over, here in the UK 🙂

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Jeff Moden (8/2/2010)

You can buy a new small flat (80 sq.m.) far in the suburbs of a small town in my area for around € 150K. That's to say € 2K / square meter.

Going a bit nearer to the center of the town means paying from around € 3K /sqm to € 5K / sqm.

A flat in the center of a big city (Milan, Rome) start at round 5K and could be even € 10K / sqm.

FYI, a freelance in Italy works the first 6 months of the year and more to pay taxes. Until june 23 precisely.

-- Gianluca Sartori

High cost of living.

My rate is about 1/5 of Wayne's. My income (in months where business is good and I'm billing for more than half the month) is significantly above average for the IT field (even accounting for experience)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (8/2/2010)

Only? You're lucky.

2 bedroom flat, no garden, open-plan lounge-dining room, one bathroom, fairly large kitchen, total 100 m2 (plus parking for 2 cars under building). Situated in a moderate-expensive suburb of JHB. R550 000 (ZAR). (currency conversion left as exercise to reader)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (8/2/2010)

Jeff, try moving to Canada. You'll be be lucky if you get you taxes paid before July. However, you'll have much, much, much, less worry about medical costs.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Spending $160k a year.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/2/2010)

Spending $160k a year.

Making $150k and spending $160k? That sounds about right. :w00t:

(Wish I was making that much!)

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• BTW, I bought a 2500sq ft house in Va (SE) for $140k in late 1997, sold for $150k in 1999. A little over a year later, bought essentially the same size house in Denver, 2400sq ft but with a basement, for $240k. Similar neighborhoods, similar age of house.

I looked in 1991 in San Diego, and a house miles from the ocean, but the size of what I had in VA would have been well over $300k.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/2/2010)

BTW, I bought a 2500sq ft house in Va (SE) for $140k in late 1997, sold for $150k in 1999. A little over a year later, bought essentially the same size house in Denver, 2400sq ft but with a basement, for $240k. Similar neighborhoods, similar age of house.

I looked in 1991 in San Diego, and a house miles from the ocean, but the size of what I had in VA would have been well over $300k.

In Boston or NJ, you're looking at $400-$500K for that house, maybe more.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

I sometimes see 150K $/year DBA positions in the US and I wonder why I'm still here.

Really? Where? Location depends. I haven't seen any positions at that kind of rate.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (8/2/2010)

High cost of living.

My rate is about 1/5 of Wayne's. My income (in months where business is good and I'm billing for more than half the month) is significantly above average for the IT field (even accounting for experience)

Don't misread things too much... that was a "special" (aka deliberately very high) rate, just for that poster. I would realistically charge (for something like this) a little less than what Gail is mentioning here... after all, she is a lot better than I! 😎

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16,936 through 16,950 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply