Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Don't know if you guys are fans of Statistical Analysis, but there's a proposal for a StackOverflow model on stats, still waiting for enough folks to commit to make it happen. I know some of you [cough]*Barry*[/cough] are math geeks and would probably enjoy helping the rest of us out. 😀

Click through and commit if you're interested.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/33?phase=commitment&committers=mostrecent#tab-top

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GabyYYZ (6/24/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/23/2010)

WayneS (6/23/2010)

Talk to your credit-card processor. I believe that they have some numbers that can be used for this type of thing - they pass the verification process but are completely fake and do nothing.

Of course, this would mean that all records would have the same value for this column.

Having dealt with a few CC Processors, each one has provided test Card numbers that would pass validation. You should check with your processor and confirm as Wayne said.

Thanks Wayne and Cirque, will do so. The trick is I need 3+ million unique ID's but hope they have that many. I also found the algorithm and some TSQL do add a check digit to a 15 digit card number, making it a "valid" 16 digit number. I'm talking to the QA folks to see if there's a way for me to test if they pass.

Gaby, since this is in a test environment, wouldn't it be okay to have them be the same? If it's to test the process, does it matter if everyone has the same card?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• D.Oc (6/24/2010)

Hey neighbor, don't worry, there is still 2nd half

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Isn't there a third half to lose of some more goals?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Paul White NZ (6/24/2010)

Gianluca,

With things as they are, both our teams will be going home. We don't look much like scoring.

0-0

Paul

Antipodes go home. :crying:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• OMG that was tense. I was watching NZ with the Italy game picture-in-picture.

How close did Italy come to levelling it 3-3 in the 95th minute!?!?

Still, we finished unbeaten (yay!) and ahead of the World Champions in the group. I wish I had placed a bet on that before the start of the tournament!

The helpful commentators pointed out that if NZ had scored a goal, and won 1-0 tonight, we would have topped the group!!! That would have been funny.

• @Gianlucca, don't get too drunk tonight. Was a great game to watch, suspense all the way to the end.

@paul-2, congrats for ending up ahead of Gli Azzurri! Hadn't expected that, and you surely hadn't either remembering your post just before the first game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• jcrawf02 (6/24/2010)

Don't know if you guys are fans of Statistical Analysis, but there's a proposal for a StackOverflow model on stats, still waiting for enough folks to commit to make it happen. I know some of you [cough]*Barry*[/cough] are math geeks and would probably enjoy helping the rest of us out. 😀

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/33?phase=commitment&committers=mostrecent#tab-top

I added a commitment and comment to it. I think it's a good idea, and I'd suggest pinging some college profs at various schools. See if they would commit.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/24/2010)

jcrawf02 (6/24/2010)

Don't know if you guys are fans of Statistical Analysis, but there's a proposal for a StackOverflow model on stats, still waiting for enough folks to commit to make it happen. I know some of you [cough]*Barry*[/cough] are math geeks and would probably enjoy helping the rest of us out. 😀

I added a commitment and comment to it. I think it's a good idea, and I'd suggest pinging some college profs at various schools. See if they would commit.

Great idea, thanks!

[Edit] lol, just noticed the pic you used. Very apropos...:hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Um, help? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic941103-357-1.aspx Obviously I'm explaining badly here...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Another thousand posts for the thread. Anyone keeping track of how many days between the thousands? Might be interesting (or useless) statistics.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/24/2010)

Another thousand posts for the thread. Anyone keeping track of how many days between the thousands? Might be interesting (or useless) statistics.

Wow that one sneaked right up on us. Didn't even notice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (6/24/2010)

Another thousand posts for the thread. Anyone keeping track of how many days between the thousands? Might be interesting (or useless) statistics.

It seems like on the days that Steve goes skiing, we'll get a couple hundred.

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/24/2010)

GilaMonster (6/24/2010)

Maybe we ought to send Steve out skiing more often?

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (6/24/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/24/2010)

GilaMonster (6/24/2010)

Good idea. I don't think he will mind too much either.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (6/24/2010)

Yes, yes, yes, though I'm afraid that will have to wait for a few months. I'll be looking to disappear step away in late October.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,991 through 16,005 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply