Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/23/2010)

Is this soccer stuff over today?

ha! http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mundial/sudafrica-2010/calendario-english.html

final is on July 11th

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Hehe

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2010/06/23/funny-pictures-call-911/

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2010/06/22/funny-pictures-no-wayz/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yeah, the planet should send that second down to SA.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Okay, strange request, and couldn't find the proper forum for this, but hope someone here can help.

We currently have a non-production server holding Credit Card info for testing. We were under the impression they were fake, but some random checks with production values seemed to indicate otherwise. The data is encrypted so that's not the issue, except that as a SysAdmin, I can see the data and Security doesn't want that as part of PCI compliance.

What I'd like to do is regenerate all those CC Numbers (3,000,000+) to be fake, but pass the tests. I've found some javascript/C# code to do so, but was curious if someone could point me to some TSQL on it. There's plenty of code on verifying the data (include a post from Jeff), but couldn't find any to generate. If I just generated random codes myself, the application would fail in the non-prod environment because of verification issues.

Thanks. 🙂

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Talk to your credit-card processor. I believe that they have some numbers that can be used for this type of thing - they pass the verification process but are completely fake and do nothing.

Of course, this would mean that all records would have the same value for this column.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/23/2010)

Talk to your credit-card processor. I believe that they have some numbers that can be used for this type of thing - they pass the verification process but are completely fake and do nothing.

Of course, this would mean that all records would have the same value for this column.

Having dealt with a few CC Processors, each one has provided test Card numbers that would pass validation. You should check with your processor and confirm as Wayne said.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZIwhYyz9oQ

-- Gianluca Sartori

• jcrawf02 (6/23/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/23/2010)

Is this soccer stuff over today?

ha! http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mundial/sudafrica-2010/calendario-english.html

final is on July 11th

Which happens to be my birthday!

• With the time difference it will be 12 July by the time the game kicks off 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/24/2010)

With the time difference it will be 12 July by the time the game kicks off 🙂

*sound of bubble bursting *

🙁

• Paul White NZ (6/24/2010)

Jan Van der Eecken (6/24/2010)

With the time difference it will be 12 July by the time the game kicks off 🙂

*sound of bubble bursting *

🙁

Happy early birthday anyway, 7-11

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/23/2010)

WayneS (6/23/2010)

Talk to your credit-card processor. I believe that they have some numbers that can be used for this type of thing - they pass the verification process but are completely fake and do nothing.

Having dealt with a few CC Processors, each one has provided test Card numbers that would pass validation. You should check with your processor and confirm as Wayne said.

Thanks Wayne and Cirque, will do so. The trick is I need 3+ million unique ID's but hope they have that many. I also found the algorithm and some TSQL do add a check digit to a 15 digit card number, making it a "valid" 16 digit number. I'm talking to the QA folks to see if there's a way for me to test if they pass.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/24/2010)

Hey neighbor, don't worry, there is still 2nd half

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Gianluca,

With things as they are, both our teams will be going home. We don't look much like scoring.

0-0

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 15,976 through 15,990 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply