Are the posted questions getting worse?

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/14/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (6/14/2010)

Well done on the "Mentor" thread, Gail.

Hope he stops.

It seemed to me that the argument was coming from one side today. It appeared that Jeff bailed on it a few days ago.

I thought it was a bit one sided myself. Seemed like I hadn't done anything wrong and was surprised to see my name in that post especially in light of the way things went down and who brought it down to a despicable level. Considering that, I thought I did a pretty good job of not loosing my cool as the other person obviously did.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I thought it was round by design. Without starting up the whole "football" debate again, it must be noted that there are other games where the ball is not so round. The complainers could always try playing one of those games.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I thought it was supposed to be round as well, that's why I was surprised to hear the complaining characterized as that, even in a comic strip. I looked on-line and saw "too light and other complaints". The comic strip Cleats said players were complaining it was "too round", perhaps that's the author's interpretation of players complaining that "it keeps going on and on and on".

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/15/2010)

Paul, Good Luck to New Zealand in their game against Slovakia in less than 4 hours from now.

Draw, 1-1. Woohoo!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Jeff Moden (6/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/14/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (6/14/2010)

Well done on the "Mentor" thread, Gail.

Hope he stops.

It seemed to me that the argument was coming from one side today. It appeared that Jeff bailed on it a few days ago.

I thought it was a bit one sided myself. Seemed like I hadn't done anything wrong and was surprised to see my name in that post especially in light of the way things went down and who brought it down to a despicable level. Considering that, I thought I did a pretty good job of not loosing my cool as the other person obviously did.

I'm sorry, Jeff, I hadn't seen you name in that post. I had to go back to that thread to see what you're referring to.

I think you did well and I don't know if I would have kept your aplomb if I were in your shoes.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Jeff Moden (6/15/2010)

I addressed the request to both so that it didn't appear that i was targeting and picking on one person.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • tosscrosby (6/15/2010)

Too light would be a valid complaint but too round???? It either is or isn't round.

Rubbish, it is not too light, just five grams short of the maximum weight allowed, but 25 grams heavier than the minimum weight allowed. But it is much more aerodynamic than the previous one, which in turn was much more aerodynamic than the one before, and so on, and so on. Boys on the field, get used to it, you get paid an inordinate amount of money to kick that thing around. So make the best of it, it is the same ball for everyone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/15/2010)

you get paid an inordinate amount of money to kick that thing around.

That can be said of most sports. It's a game folks, and some of them make many millions of dollars to play it yet still complain.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I'm thinking they'd prefer something a bit more egg-shaped. : -)

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Here comes the "Egg-hand" discussion again.:w00t: See you on Thursday, Public Holiday tomorrow down here and Bafana playing Uruguay. No chance I'll be on-line tomorrow to join in. Enjoy your arguments 😉

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I have to agree, stop complaining about the ball and play the game you are paid quite well to play.

I don't have a copy of the Laws of the Game in my car today, and don't feel like surfing the web to verify, but pretty sure that Law 2 is quite clear on the specifications of the ball. It must have a certain diameter which means spherical in shape, not ellipsoid. A specific weight, within a given range. Inflated within a specifc range as well.

My daughter would love to purchase a replica of the final match ball, but that would cost her $150 USD.

• I'm really scared what is gonna happen to North Korean players if they lose today against Brazil 😀 (Kim Jong-il) :w00t:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/15/2010)

So what's with the ball being too round or too light or something? Is everyone complaining?

Everyone but Germany. They had the opportunity to practice with the same ball for the last 6 months.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/15/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/15/2010)

So what's with the ball being too round or too light or something? Is everyone complaining?

Everyone but Germany. They had the opportunity to practice with the same ball for the last 6 months.

I wasn't following the controversy so I googled it and came accross this article that has a picture of Hand Egg? :w00t:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (6/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/15/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/15/2010)

I wasn't following the controversy so I googled it and came accross this article that has a picture of Hand Egg? :w00t:

Excellent! They're finally moving toward playing football!

Viewing 15 posts - 15,796 through 15,810 (of 66,679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply