Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I think you'll have to track it down yourself, or live with the website being down for a short period of time. Maybe you ought to work with them and see if you can solve it together.

• Google and connect are not helping.

SSRS 2008 with VS 2008 FULL version...

Deploy won't overwrite rdl even with overwrite datasource to yes.

• For those of you with blogs, its' T-SQL Tuesday, the topic being LOB data. Be sure you make an entry if you have time.

• Some questions are really bad, I agree; and those very basic questions like how do I take a backup, etc should be answered by pointing them to BOL.

When I finished my IT training, I was not really ready to do any real work, but I knew I was interested in "databases". I took a first job as an Oracle Dev for the big Y2K scare and lucked out by having a very patient and willing to let me learn DBA as a mentor. I would ask him stupid questions and his first answers was always, did you do anything yourself to find the answer? and would usually whip out a thick book or point to the one already on my desk. Once I was going down the right track, he would always drop by and offer suggestions or point me in alternate directions. Also, if I didn't have a script I could show him, he told me to go away (served two purposes looking back... 1. it showed him I had indeed researched or attempted a solution and 2. he was teaching me the importance of not being a cowboy on production servers by making me run scripts on dev servers and once they ran successfully there, he would promote to production).

I think these "bad" questions come about because people are forced into roles that there is no one to fill, and thus there are no mentors for these people struggling, and presumably willing to learn the skills. I now have 10 yrs experience as a DBA and I still find myself hearing the voice of my first mentor when I am about to do something on a production server (even just to set up monitoring) or if I get frustrated with an issue I am having and start to open Google...

Think about this too... if there were no one asking questions here, would this site/community still be around? If everyone knew everything, why would this great site exist?

• I'd like to think we'd still be publishing information without questions, and encouraging debates.

There are always new people, which is why we reprint older, good articles from the past at times. Nobody sees everything, and there is a need for beginners to get help.

The main issue that I have had, and I think many other experts, is that beginners don't try. They don't bother to look in BOL or think about the issue. I post newbie questions at times on things, but I do make an effort to look for something, and I'll note I looked here and here, or tried x and y, and I'm stuck.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/12/2010)

There are always new people, which is why we reprint older, good articles from the past at times. Nobody sees everything, and there is a need for beginners to get help.

I've seen many posts on re-published articles my long-timers around here to the effect of "Hey, wonder how I missed this the first time around?". So, I definitely think it's a good thing to re-publish them.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/12/2010)

I'd like to think we'd still be publishing information without questions, and encouraging debates.

Absolutely, just that some of the questions here spark you fine ladies and gents to publish/republish (better than outlook reminders :))

I search for those from time to time as well

The main issue that I have had, and I think many other experts, is that beginners don't try. They don't bother to look in BOL or think about the issue. I post newbie questions at times on things, but I do make an effort to look for something, and I'll note I looked here and here, or tried x and y, and I'm stuck.

It is too easy these days to just get someone else to do it for you for sure. The lack of mentors contributes to this too I think, Steve.

This is a tough story to tell without being a little condescending about some people.... I worked at a company once where I was asked by a particular person why I helped certain people more quickly than others. I got to know this person well enough to tell her why. I told her if I think you are smart enough to figure it out on your own, I'll make you wait (anticipating you will have figured it out before I get back to you)... if not, I help you right away.

• WayneS (5/12/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (5/12/2010)

I've seen many posts on re-published articles my long-timers around here to the effect of "Hey, wonder how I missed this the first time around?". So, I definitely think it's a good thing to re-publish them.

I like having the articles republished from time to time. I have missed quite a few exceptional articles on the first go around. It is good to see them.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Anyone seen our resident CHIPMUNK? I havent seen or heard from him for a long time. I havent seen his tweets either. Anybody any clue?

-Roy

• I was beginning to wonder the same thing. He must be on vacation. The one that may know best is Bob.

Learn Extended Events

• Maybe we should put a rule in THE THREAD that if a regular thread poster goes on vacation , they have notify others...:-)

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (5/12/2010)

Anyone seen our resident CHIPMUNK? I havent seen or heard from him for a long time. I havent seen his tweets either. Anybody any clue?

Hmm, his last post is 4/23... almost 3 weeks. That's a long time out here...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I send a tweet out to find out where he is hiding. Anyone else got his contact?

-Roy

• I've noticed that GSquared also took a leave of absence from the forum, last login was 04/22

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• I was wondering about Gus. I figured both he and Alvin just got too busy.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 15,226 through 15,240 (of 66,680 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply