applying Hotfixes to Production server

• Greetings,

i am a junior SQL Server DBA.

1. Please tell me how to apply SP2 / hotfixes on Culstering environment of Active - Active and Active - Passive.

2. Please tell the key points to win the interview in Database Administration.

3. Please telll me the real time scenario of SQL server DBA when you are working in.

:-):-):-)

• Why you are talking about SP2? SP3 is the latest patch now.

• Here is the answer for your question #1

1. Connect remotely to the first node of your cluster through the Terminal Services by a physical box name

2. Copy an installation package to the local drive

3. Install a SP3

4. Reboot a box

5. Verify that a box is back

6. Repeat all steps 1-5 for the second node

6. Enjoy 🙂

• hi , thanks for the quick responce.

But if my production server are Active - Passive or Active - Active

which stretegy should be followd. Installing sp2 or sp3 is ok.

But if those are production server how can i apply the sp3 .

the meaning of asking is i dont want to stop the production.

and if possible please let me know how can i manually switch applications from active to passive.

• In Active/Active cluster you need to do all mentioned steps.

In Active/Passive some people recommend install SP on the Active node only. I disagree, because any other services, like SSIS, SSAS and SSRS should be installed on every node separately. Cluster also can be converted from Active/Passive to Active/Active any moment. So, I don't see any reason why we suppose to do just a half work in case Active/Passive cluster.

• You will not interrupt production and you don't need to switch applications manually to the Passive node. This is main point of cluster - your cluster still have the same virtual name and IP for any applications regardless of which node takes ownership of cluster.

I assume your failover cluster works properly. So, when you apply SP3 to the active node a reboot a box, all cluster groups should move to the former Passive node automatically, but virtual name will stay the same. When the box come back to normal, all groups should move back to the old Active node automatically again.

So it should be seamless from application stand point.

Of course you can move groups manually instead through the Cluster Administrator.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply