Any option to restore only selective tables/indexes

• From a FULL backup is it possible to restore less than 100% of the contents.

Due to space restrictions on a drive, it will be nice if we can restore only selected indexes.

Is the restore all or nothing deal or is there other options?

thanks

Dan

• Partial restoration of the Databases can be possible only using File group backups but not using Full backups, you cannot restore only desired part of a Full backup.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Some 3rd party tools allow specific table recovery. Some would have had to take the original backup with the tool. Apparently Redgate's latest version will do what you want according to this thread on the same topic.:

See Sergey Vavinskiy's posts #4 and #6

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic790476-357-1.aspx#bm790678

• There are 2 things that you can do.

One is to restore the full backup on another server and then import the data to your database from the restored backup.

The other option is to determine which pages you want to restored and then do page restores from the backup. This is difficult and time consuming and generally done when facing data corruption.

"Keep Trying"

• try creating database snapshots and import or restore the tables you want

• homebrew01

It is a good option to know. Thanks for telling abt Redgate.

ChiragNS,

Thanks for the 2 points. I am not going to try the 'page restore' method, but good to be reminded of options. I guess you could do it all with the RESTORE command (provided you know how to read/understand the pages). Have you done it before? Did you use any tool to grasp the details of the page data?

ramuvanparti,

can you explain what do you mean by 'restore from database snapshots'. You are talking about the 'CREATE DATABASE AS SNAPSHOT OF' kind of DB, right?

• yes i actually i mean that prepare snap shot of the database and from the snapshot copy all the required tables. it would simple and without using any third part tool.

• ramuvanparti

What would be the difference to copy from the original database vs the snapshot database?

thx

dan

• See the snapshot will have read only data of the database for which it has been taken at a particluar time.

Suppose a snapshot is generated at 10:00 am today so it will have all object with data in table which was present in the database on before 10:00 am

Regards

Ramu

• ChiragNS,

Thanks for the 2 points. I am not going to try the 'page restore' method, but good to be reminded of options. I guess you could do it all with the RESTORE command (provided you know how to read/understand the pages). Have you done it before? Did you use any tool to grasp the details of the page data?

No i haven't done this yet although if you need to do it the syntax is there in BOL or you can search this site. Page restores are mainly used (AFIK) when your HUGE db is corrupt and you dont have time to restore the db from a backup.

Again to grasp the details of a page check this site for articles.

Why do you say you want to restore "indexes". You mean data in the tables rt?

"Keep Trying"

• ramuvanparti

your were suggesting the RO DB Snapshot, because it will be easy on deadlocks/locks for reporting?

thanks

Dan

• ChiragNS

I was meaning non-clustered indexes.

Dan

• ya u r right..

suggested it becuase it the simplest way to copy the desired tables with less efforts and overhead like full database restores and on which is time consuming and where ther are some third tool which has these features to restore particulars row objects etc....

snapshot solve the purpose at very less overhead and cost.

Thanks

Ramu

• Thanks Ramu

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply