Analyzing Formula 1 results in R

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:27 AM

Be good to see a second article doing this in SQL Server 😉

If any of you would like to see it,  encourage Thomas to write more.

Hi Steve, I crafted some scripts and tried an explanation, see my previous post.
    Do you still think a second article would be justified...? :Whistling:

• Thomas Hütter - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:33 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:27 AM

Hi Steve, I crafted some scripts and tried an explanation, see my previous post.

I intend to try out your scripts in the next few days & will provide feedback when I do ... I'm sure that there are a lot of people here who would be interested in such an article.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• kenstevenson - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:10 PM

Good work! I am quite an enthusiast of both F1 and SQL Server. Guess which one pays the bills. My company does use R, yet I have not had the opportunity to work myself into an R project. Looking forward to future articles.

I happened to be quite pleased that the topic was in fact based around Formula 1. Then, a bit disappointed that you did not somehow uncover share a mountain of F1 telemetry data to play with.

Thanks Ken, I would assume the telemetry data is not officially disclosed by the teams.
    But I may have someone I could ask about this... 😉

Yes, not everyone will read this discussion

• This is an extremely interesting topic to me, thanks again! Another article could also illustrate pros and cons of the 2 approaches and any limitations the SSMS approach might have.

• OK guys, I hear you... 😉
    (Now I hope someone reads to page 2 in this thread. 😛 )

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:27 AM

Thomas, I am sorry to say that I fell at the first hurdle. This part

And there are some caveats: you have to install the needed R packages into your SQL Server R service first (use my installpkg script). But in order to accomplish that, you have to have write permissions to the library folder, in my case of a standard installation, that is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\R_SERVICES\library". I'll leave it up to you to sort that out.

Did not work out for me. I got a permissions error, despite the fact that I am a local admin on the SQL machine I am working on.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Phil Parkin - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:49 AM

Thomas, I am sorry to say that I fell at the first hurdle. This part

And there are some caveats: you have to install the needed R packages into your SQL Server R service first (use my installpkg script). But in order to accomplish that, you have to have write permissions to the library folder, in my case of a standard installation, that is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\R_SERVICES\library". I'll leave it up to you to sort that out.

Did not work out for me. I got a permissions error, despite the fact that I am a local admin on the SQL machine I am working on.

Duh, I'm afraid I am not enough of a Windows admin to be really helpful here. So, maybe it's the (service) account you run your SQL instance with that needs permissions, but I am only guessing...

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply