"Almost" unique constraints

• Is there a way to allow only *one* multiple value in an otherwise-unique column? In other words, is there a provision to allow for "exceptions" to a unique constraint?

For example, let's say I have a data column filled with the following rows:

Table

Chair

Lamp

I *do* want to allow multiple instances of "chair," so the following would be allowed:

Table

Chair

Chair

Lamp

Chair

However, I *do NOT* want to allow multiple values of anything else; therefore, trying to enter "table" or "lamp" would result in an error.

On a related note: I defined a unique column in a database, and I set it to allow NULLs. However, it's giving me errors because of multiple instances of NULL. Would this be a limitation of the question I stated above, or should a unique column allow multiple NULLs?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Oops, I hit "post" twice. Sorry about that . . .

• Not directly, however if you are using SQL 2000 you could build a function to check unique with exceptions.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• This sounds more like you a business rule which I would have implemented through a data object. If this is not feasable or you need to rollback a transaction if a duplicate is inserted, then another way to do it would be through triggers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply