All Package in One Project vs. One package per Project

• Hi -

We just upgraded to SQL Server 2005.  So far so good. 

We had migrated all of our packages and done the necessary updates to make them work.  One thing that it is a little troubling, though, is the slowness of working with SSIS in the BI Dev Studio.  We are aware of the validations and the ability to set the DelayValidation flag to true, but I think we would lose some functionality there if we did.  I have also read about working Offline, and that loses a lot of functionality with not being able to automatically detect columns when you add sources and destinations. 

So, without using either one of these things, one other factor is that we have about 25 packages all in 1 project.  We put them all in one package with the idea that we could view all of them in one directory and also deploy all of them from the same directory. 

I am curious, though, whether this causes add overhead with validation.  I.E., if I only have one package open, does the system validate all of the other packages, even though they are not open?

Any thoughts on a best approach to having  1 package to 1 project, all packages in one project, or a middle ground of maybe a couple of packages per project based on something like functional area or data source?  Also, if you have insight into the validation question mentioned above that would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  --John

• John, we've run into a similar problem here - we have about 70 related packages we wanted to keep together.  We threw around the idea of having separate projects/solutions for each or putting them all in one.  We choose to go the one solution route. 

We too noticed the slowness of opening the solution due to validation.  After some research and testing, we found that closing any open packages before closing the solution/BIDS helps.  The BIDS will only validate packages when they are opened.  So if you have all 25 dtsx packages open, it will want to validate everything.  If nothing is open, the BIDS opens quickly with no validation.  You can then open the package or packages you want to work on.  Of course, when you open the individual package, it will be validated.

I'm still not entirely sure why the BIDS wants to validate everything, but this was our solution to the problem.  I hope this helps you.  --Brian

• Hey Brian -

Thanks for you reply. 

We actually found that if you work offline everything is great.  Then if you need to add a task or anything that requires a connection, uncheck work offline/make edits and the switch it back to Work OffLine.  If you need to run the package, you can still do it from the Work Offline mode.  This has worked well and allowed us to keep all of our packages together.

Also, as a side note, the slowness we had was experienced even when we only had the one package open that we were working on.  Strange!

Thanks again for your reply.  We are working well with the Work Offline strategy mentioned above.  If you are not past the point of no turning back and want to keep all of your packages together, you might try it.  Let me know if you have questions or find out something new that is helpful.  --John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply