Alert For Blocking in Azure SQL Managed Instance

• In an Azure SQL Managed Instance there is no option to create what we might refer to as our 'standard alerts' under sql agent\alerts - there is simply no alerts folder.

On a on premise version of sql server, I would create an alert for blocking and get it to then trigger a sql agent job to gather the blocking info into a table. How do we achieve this within an Azure Managed Instance. There doesn't seem to be anything via the Azure Portal either.

• Azure SQL MI is restricted in what they support, alerts are generally configured on the MI settings in the portal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Yeah, that is what I thought but I can't seem to see anything related to blocking - only CPU thresholds, IO alerts and few others. Looks like we will have to rely on a 3rd party monitoring app.

• sql agent on MI offers less than unmanaged instances

sql agent mi vs onprem

Alerts on MI are created at the Azure resource level, check out alerts and diagnostic settings in Azure portal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply