Aggregate Function For Last Value?

• Is there an Aggregate Function for getting the last value of a column in SQL Server (similiar the the Access last Function?), or does somebody have a suggestion on another way to find this value? Thanks.

• You could try select top 1 [column_name] from table_name order by [column_name] desc

• There's no first or last row in a table. To get the first something you MUST use order by in combinaison with top 1.

You could also check out the max and min functions and they may help in such a context.

• Hmmm, I don't just need one though, I need the last entry per each user ID.

Can I use Top on a per column basis e.g.:

(Top 1 MyColumn) as TopColumn?

Hmmm....I would guess not.

• Alright.

Post the table definition, some sample data and the expected results and we'll help you figure it out.

• I'm trying to convert something somebody wrote in Access to SQL (Hence the last). Here is the original query:

SELECT qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Dist, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Dept, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_ID, qryDLOnCall1st.FullName, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_ClassName, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Phone1, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Phone2, Max(qryDLOnCall1st.MaxOfCallDate) AS MaxOfMaxOfCallDate, Last(tblCallOuts.CallTime) AS LastOfCallTime

FROM (tblEmpName INNER JOIN qryDLOnCall1st ON tblEmpName.Emp_ID = qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_ID) LEFT JOIN tblCallOuts ON tblEmpName.Emp_ID = tblCallOuts.Emp_ID

GROUP BY qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Dist, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Dept, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_ID, qryDLOnCall1st.FullName, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_ClassName, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Phone1, qryDLOnCall1st.Emp_Phone2

ORDER BY Max(qryDLOnCall1st.MaxOfCallDate), Last(tblCallOuts.CallTime);

The table is ordered by date and time, and basically is just pulling the last record by date/time for each employee.

• This is how it's done in sql server.

Select * from dbo.Employees E inner join (Select EmpID, MAX(Date) AS Date from dbo.Employees) dtMax on E.EmpID = dtMax.EmpID and E.Date = dtMax.Date

• Hey thanks for your help by the way.

The problem I am having is the Date and Time are split into two different fields. If it was one DateTime field I could just do Max and be done with it, but how do I get the associated Time field?

• can you just recreate the date??

MAX (CAST (field1 + field as datetime))

• Awesome, that works. Thanks alot, I really appreciate the help.

• HTH.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply