Admin login failure

• Whenever I link to a table through Access 2000 to Sql Server 2000, and open that table, I receive an error in the Sql Server log stating that there is a login failure for user Admin. It seems as if Access tries to pass the Admin user to Sql Server before it prompts me for a username/password. It only happens on one of my Sql Servers. Any suggestions?

Derek

Derek

• Is this a standard .MDB or an Access Project?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• They are standard .mdb files. If I add a sql login with the name of Admin and give it permissions to the database that I am working with. Then when I open the linked table it doesn't prompt me for a username/password. It seems to try the Admin username/password first, than if it doesn't find it in the sql login, Access will prompt for it. Thanks

Derek

Derek

• In your ODBC connection, you can set to use either NT authentication or standard login. I'm assuming you're wanting standard, but if not, that's where to change it.

When you set up the connection for the linked table, there is an option to Save Password. Typically when you first go to link a table using standard security, you are prompted for a username and password. Then the list of tables are displayed. Did that occur in this case?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I tried the save password like you suggested, and that actually worked. When I opend up the linked table, it didn't give me a login failure for Admin in the Sql Server. Now I am wondering why it was trying the Admin username/password before it prompted me, and how I can stop that from occurring? Thanks

Derek

Derek

• Sounds like an assumption piece programmed into Access.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply