Additive rights?

• Are SQL rights additive? Or does it take the most restrictive of the set of rights?

My problem:

I have a group of users that I have granted dbdatareader access to. However, there are four people who need to be able to update, insert,and delete from a couple of the tables in the database. So, I created a new group and granted appropriate rights. These users are now in both groups and do not have access to update/insert/delete.

For user maintenance I would like to keep these four users in both groups. Any ideas how I can accomplish my goal?

TIA,

Michelle

Michelle

• I fixed it, but still want to know how the rights are handled. I would like to know if there is a better way.

In this instance I forgot to define a primary key, so Access wouldn't allow the users to update.

Thanks for your time,

Michelle

Michelle

• Rights are additive with the exception of if there is a DENY in there. DENY is a trump. For instance, if you have a user who is a member of both db_datareader and db_datawriter roles, the user can read or modify data in any table in the database.

I believe there's a KB article indicating that users have to come out of the database (either logging off SQL Server or switching databases), but I can't find it off-hand. I'll keep looking for it. Were the users logged on and in the system at the time?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian -

In this particular situation, it didn't matter if they were logged in since it was a SQL/Access problem.

Thanks for the information though on multiple sessions. I looked around and found this article 207718 that I believe describes the bug to which you are referring.

Thanks again,

Michelle

Michelle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply