Adding /3GB /PAE in Boot.ini?

• Hello,

I upgraded the memory from 8GB to 16GB last week and according from Microsoft forum, I add the '/3GB /PAE' in boot.ini on Windows 2003 server to address 14GB of memory in SQL. I also set the AWE value to 1 in SQL Setting and assigned the Min - 1024, Max 14336 in SQL Memory. Why STILL 'sqlservr .... Mem Usage (164,000K)' in Task Mananger??? :w00t:

I believe it should gone up to 1,164,000 K in Mem Usage, is that true?

Please Help.

Thanks.

• /PAE yes, to allow for AWE memory. /3GB no. Using /3GB limits the amount of memory the OS can address. Not good if you've got over 8 GB of memory in the system.

Task manager doesn't show AWE memory properly. Use perfmon and check the Total Server Memory counter.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

How to perform and check the Total SQL Memory Counter?

Thanks

Leo

• Hey Leo,

If you do a search on performance counter on SSC you will get plenty of results, but here is the first one in the list that explains some basic counters.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/performancemonitoringbasiccounters/1348/#pagessec

to add a counter you would go to your start menu, click on administrative tools, click on performance, expand the tree by performance logs and alerts, right click on counter logs, click New Log Settings, type in a name for your counter and then the Hardware Counters Properties will come up.

Click Add Counters

under performance object: select SQLServer:Memory Manager

at the bottom click Total Server Memory

Click Add

I normally click on log files and change the log file type to text file comma delimited

this will allow for easy import into a sql table to store and aggregate, also you can just leave it in excel and a manipulate it from there.

but read the article, there are a lot of counters out there to help you assess server stats and grab a good baseline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply