Add Reference Data to Tables When You Deploy the Database

• I am working on the database deployment scripts and below is the script I am wanting to create.

if not exists (select Description from dbo.AppealType where Description = 'ICC')

begin

insert dbo.test([Description], [GroupType], [Sortorder], [CreatedBy], [CreatedDate], [LastUpdatedBy],[LastUpdatedDate])

VALUES ('ICC', 2, 2, suser_sname(), getdate(), suser_sname(), getdate())

end

My problem is that there over 60 reference tables and over 20,000 rows to be inserted in the post deployment script.

I wanted to know if there is any tool or way to automate this.

Abhishek

• don't deploy a script ;give the end user a complete backup with all tables and default data already in place; it's faster, easier and not prone to script errors

it's also a best practice in my opinion as well

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I wish I could do that but I was ordered by the management and the senior DBA to have a post deployment script in place.Any work arounds? or non recommended methods?

• the SSMS has an option to script data as wll as the table definitions; i've used it before

but it's weird when i went to Tools>>Options ...SQL Server Object Explorer>>Scripting i couldn't find the script data selection.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You might want to take a look at Red Gate SQL Data Compare. It's a great tool for moving data between two databases. You can automate it too so that you can move data as part of your deployment processes. I cover a lot of this in the Team-based Development book chapters on deploying databases.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I will take a look at the data compare tool. I have heard that red gate is pretty good.

• I work for Red Gate, and Data Compare makes this easy if you are moving lots of data.

However the other thing you can do is export the data with bcp and use a deployment script to insert the data into the next server.

• ok. Thanks for your advice. I will look into the Red Gate software

• A few other things you can do with Redgate tools: you can use SQL Source Control, and source control the data in those reference tables. SQL Compare will work with SQL Source Control to generate the export scripts also.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply