Add node on clusternode fails: installation package for the product Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server cannot be found

• Hi all,

We've an cluster with 2 nodes on Windows 2012R2.
    Already 2 SQL2016 failover instances (both SQL2016 SP1 CU4) and 1 SQL2014 failover instance are running fine.

Now we installed on the first node a new SQL2016 failover instance (at the moment SQL2016 RTM) .
    Adding the 2nd node is failing now: MSI Error: 1706 An installation package for the product Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'msodbcsq1.msi'
    He's always asking for installation package 'msodbcsq1.msi' (alternate path)...

I've tried with no luck:
    - to select the 'msodbcsql.msi' file from the installation media
    - copied the 'msodbcsql.msi' file from the installation media, renamed the file to 'msodbcsq1.msi' and select this file to continou the installation
    - downloaded Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server (msodbcsql.msi) and select this file to continou the installation
    - downloaded Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server (msodbcsql.msi), renamed the file to 'msodbcsq1.msi' and select this file to continou the installation
    - downloaded Microsoft ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server (msodbcsql.msi) and select this file to continou the installation
    - downloaded Microsoft ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server (msodbcsql.msi), renamed the file to 'msodbcsq1.msi' and select this file to continou the installation

So my installation is still asking for the correct msi file...

I couldn't find any info regarding the searched file 'msodbcsq1.msi' --> don't know why SQL is searching this file iso 'msodbcsql.msi'?

• Ok, found a solution (but I still don't understand why it was failing...):

- Manually installed ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server on the 2nd node (SQL Server Agent of existing instances were taken offline during installation)
    - Restarted SQL intstallation: Add Node....

And all finished ok now 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply