Add indexes to views used in sql azure

• Hi,

I'm having performance issues with a view I'm using on sql azure and want to add an index but there seems to be quite a few constraints, can anyone tell me if it is possible with these views (perhaps a clustered index as an identity(1,1)) and how I would do it, thanks. (I did read somewhere that for a view to have an index it can't call another view - this would be a bit of a sticking point as the first view does reference the second view)

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE view [dbo].[vw_ReferralKPIs] AS

SELECT dbo.PatientRefKPI.ClientRef, dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbPatID, dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbPatLastName, dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbPatBirthday, dbo.PatDetail.dbAddDate,

dbo.vw_PatReferrals.FirstName, dbo.vw_PatReferrals.LastName, dbo.StaffRefKPI.dbStaffLastName, dbo.Status.dbStatusDesc,

dbo.vw_PatReferrals.dbOtherRefType, dbo.vw_PatReferrals.RefTypeWord

FROM dbo.PatDetail

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.StaffRefKPI

RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.PatientRefKPI ON dbo.StaffRefKPI.dbStaffCnt = dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbDocID AND StaffRefKPI.ClientRef = PatientRefKPI.ClientRef

RIGHT OUTER JOIN dbo.Status ON dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbStatusID = dbo.Status.dbStatusID AND Status.ClientRef = PatientRefKPI.ClientRef

ON dbo.PatDetail.dbPatCnt = dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbPatCnt AND PatDetail.ClientRef = PatientRefKPI.ClientRef

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.vw_PatReferrals ON dbo.PatientRefKPI.dbPatCnt = dbo.vw_PatReferrals.dbPatCnt AND vw_PatReferrals.ClientRef = PatientRefKPI.ClientRef

WHERE (dbo.vw_PatReferrals.dbRefType = 'i')

GO

CREATE view [dbo].[vw_PatReferrals] AS

SELECT

LnkPatReferral.ClientRef,

dbo.InlineMaxDateTime(

dbo.LnkPatReferral.CotegaModifiedTime, dbo.PatientRefKPI.CotegaModifiedTime,

dbo.Responsible.CotegaModifiedTime, dbo.Siblings.CotegaModifiedTime,

dbo.OutsideDoctors.CotegaModifiedTime, dbo.Specialty.CotegaModifiedTime,

dbo.OtherReferrals.CotegaModifiedTime, dbo.StaffRefKPI.CotegaModifiedTime

) as CotegaModifiedTime,

LnkPatReferral.dbPatCnt,

LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr,

LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr,

LnkPatReferral.dbRefDate,

LnkPatReferral.dbRefType,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN 'PATIENT'

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN 'RPARTY'

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN 'SIBLING'

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN 'DOCTOR'

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN 'OTHER'

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN 'STAFF'

END AS RefTypeWord,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN PatientRefKPI.dbPatCnt

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN Responsible.dbRespCnt

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN Siblings.dbSibCnt

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorCnt

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN OtherReferrals.dbOtherCnt

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN StaffRefKPI.dbStaffCnt

END AS FoundName,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN PatientRefKPI.dbPatFirstName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN Responsible.dbRespFirstName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN Siblings.dbSibFirstName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorFirstName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN OtherReferrals.dbOtherRefFirstName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN StaffRefKPI.dbStaffFirstName

END AS FirstName,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN PatientRefKPI.dbPatMiddleName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN Responsible.dbRespMiddleName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN Siblings.dbSibMiddleName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorMiddleName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN OtherReferrals.dbOtherRefMiddleName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN StaffRefKPI.dbStaffMiddleName

END AS MiddleName,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN PatientRefKPI.dbPatLastName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN Responsible.dbRespLastName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN Siblings.dbSibLastName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorLastName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN OtherReferrals.dbOtherRefLastName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN StaffRefKPI.dbStaffLastName

END AS LastName,

CASE

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 THEN PatientRefKPI.dbPatCommonName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 THEN Responsible.dbRespCommonName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 THEN Siblings.dbSibCommonName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 THEN OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorCommonName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 THEN OtherReferrals.dbOtherRefCommonName

WHEN LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 THEN StaffRefKPI.dbStaffCommonName

END AS CommonName,

Specialty.dbSpecDesc,

Specialty.dbSpecCnt,

OtherReferrals.dbOtherRefType

FROM LnkPatReferral

LEFT JOIN PatientRefKPI ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = PatientRefKPI.dbPatCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 1 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = PatientRefKPI.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN Responsible ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = Responsible.dbRespCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 2 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = Responsible.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN Siblings ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = Siblings.dbSibCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 3 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = Siblings.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN OutsideDoctors ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = OutsideDoctors.dbDoctorCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 4 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = OutsideDoctors.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN Specialty ON OutsideDoctors.dbSpeciality = Specialty.dbSpecCnt AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = Specialty.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN OtherReferrals ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = OtherReferrals.dbOtherCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 5 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = OtherReferrals.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN StaffRefKPI ON LnkPatReferral.dbLPatRefAnyPtr = StaffRefKPI.dbStaffCnt AND LnkPatReferral.dbPatRefTablePtr = 6 AND LnkPatReferral.ClientRef = StaffRefKPI.ClientRef

• Not possible. To start with, you have outer joins which aren't allowed in an indexed view

This isn't an Azure limitation, the earthed SQL product has the same long list of indexed view limitations.

Perhaps an alternative approach? Instead of trying to index the views, maybe post the queries that are slow, the specific queries which access the views, along with their execution plans, table definitions and index definitions and we can try and help you tune the queries.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Views that call to other views and nest and join on views is a notorious code smell that leads to poor performance. My suggestion, write the query you want directly against the tables rather than use views.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks guys, I shall look into your advice.

• Actually I may have been barking up the wrong tree. Running the sql below (which references the first view, which in turn references the second view) without the 3 SUM statements returns the result set pretty quickly and the SUM statements don't reference the views. Can you see any easy optimizing of those statements (I know I haven't posted any data, sorry)

SELECT

r.dbPatID, p.dbPatFirstName, p.dbPatLastName, r.dbstatusdesc, r.dbAddDate, r.LastName, r.dbStaffLastName

SUM(CASE WHEN t.LedgerAmount > 0 AND t.LedgerType !=29 AND t.LedgerType !=30 AND t.LedgerType != 31 AND t.LedgerType != 1 OR t.LedgerType = 16 THEN t.LedgerAmount ELSE 0.00 END) AS Charges,

SUM(CASE WHEN t.LedgerAmount < 0 AND t.LedgerType != 1 AND t.LedgerType != 16 AND t.LedgerType != 45 OR t.LedgerType = 29 OR t.LedgerType = 30 OR t.LedgerType = 31 THEN t.LedgerAmount ELSE 0.00 END) AS Payments,

SUM(CASE WHEN t.LedgerType = 1 OR t.LedgerType = 46 THEN t.LedgerAmount ELSE 0.00 END) * -1 AS Contracts

FROM

vw_ReferralKPIs r

LEFT JOIN Transactions t ON t.PatientID = r.dbPatID

AND r.ClientRef = t.ClientRef

LEFT JOIN Patient p ON p.dbPatID = r.dbPatID

AND r.ClientRef = p.ClientRef

WHERE

(r.dbAddDate >= '2014-01-01' OR '2014-01-01' = '')

AND (r.dbAddDate <= '2015-05-27 23:59' OR '2015-05-27 23:59' = '')

AND (r.dbStaffLastName IN ('') OR '' = '')

AND (r.LastName IN ('Tio ')) --OR 'Tio ' = '')

AND r.ClientRef = 'INV'

GROUP BY

r.dbPatID, p.dbPatFirstName, p.dbPatLastName, r.dbstatusdesc, r.dbAddDate, r.LastName, r.dbStaffLastName

thanks,

• I may republish the previous post in the sql 2008 forum as I don't think it is sql azure related now.

• mattech06 (5/27/2015)

Can you see any easy optimizing of those statements (I know I haven't posted any data, sorry)

I was about to say 'execution plans, table definitions and index definitions', then I realised you're doing this:

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/03/19/catch-all-queries/

But other than that, table definitions, index definitions and execution plan please.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply