Accidently Deployed Report - Retrieval Possible?

• I accidently deployed a report I was editing before it was correct to the server in Visual Studio 2012. Is there any way to get the original back up on the server until I complete the edits? I have a full backup of the reporting services database. Can I create a test database and restore from ReportServer .bak to test, then delete and copy just the rows from the table catalog that I want? Would that work?

• Sorry I don't understand? Can you not manually delete it from the report server itself?

• a. I had a report up under the deployed/published site under http://

b. I was editing the report and accidently hit refresh and it published the report, now incorrect at http://

c. I no longer have the report as it existed under a.

So, I was trying to create a new sql database called myTest, restore my backup for ReportServer from the wee hours and restore it to myTest. Then take the line item needed from the myTest table catalog and copy it into ReportServer table catalog to bring back the report definition as originally published under a.

Think that will work (sorry if this seems pedantic, just trying to be clear.)

Thanks,

• I assume you have no version control at your workplace? If not, I strongly suggest you implement it, as it will solve issues like this in a flash.

As for restoring just part of the report, I think this will be quite difficult. A decent scan through my own SSRS tables, and I wasn't able to find the table that store the content of a report. It might be in the catalog table, but i wouldn't like to confirm it. You could have a go at doing it, but if you have a development enviroment you can role back, I would do it there, definitely don't do it in live. (Me saying it might be in the catalog table is not a suggestion to try it if you have a live environment only)!

if you're pretty sure that no other changes have been made to the ReportServer DB, create a back up of the current one, and then restore this morning's over it. Just remember to switch off the SSRS service first and ensure no one is using it.

If you do have a Version Control process, then simply grab the version you had before you created the report and deploy it. As I said above though, if you don't have a version control, then I strongly suggest you discuss it with your management team about getting one in. it's not only useful on SSRS, but SSIS, SSAS, Website development, or anything else you can really think of that you're working on in a development cycle.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The restore to another database and then trying to copy just the specific rows did not work. My guess is the encryption key or something. I had a full backup from 3am, so I just restored the database entirely to that point. It worked, but a bit of a bummer that the first scenario failed.

• Glad you're back up and running. I agree with Thom here that you should consider version control. We store all of our .rdl files off in version control so grabbing a previous version to deploy becomes a very easy task and does not require a full restore.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply