Accessing XML data from Reporting Services

• Hi everybody!

Since we don’t have XML access from Reporting Services (and I don’t have time to develop the appropriate extension ), I have been searching a XML ODBC driver.

I found DataDirect XML ODBC driver and it works fine in the tests I did. (http://www.datadirect.com/index.ssp)

Now I have 2 questions:

1. Do you know any free XML driver?

2. Have you ever heard about a XML extension for RS?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Richard Chaves

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• What do you mean by we do not have XML access from RS?  Do you want to query XML data or return XML data?

If you want to return XML just add rs:Format=XML and the report will be rendered in XML.  You could do this in code and then apply a custom XSL to the document rendered and do what you want with it.

If you want to query XML from RS then you could (I believe) use the painfully small Code window in the Report Properties and use ADO.NET to create a dataset and use that dataset in your report.  I have not done it, but it should be possible.

I also just checked in RS and whne you create a new datasource you can use the SQLXMLOLEDB provider which comes with either VS.NET or MSMXL which is a free download from Microsoft.

• I want to QUERY data from XML files.

RS doesn't access XML data directly, like it access ORACLE, SQL and other OLEDB...

I'll look for that SQLXMLOLEDB you mention. If it was a ODBC driver that query XML files, it is exactly what I need!!!

Thanks Jack!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply