access backup anyway.

• hey guys,

when backup,how to make this happen...

Provide a way so that user can access the "backup" anyway ,sometimes maybe we need to keep everyweek's / everyday's backup which user can access. can we use the backup as "image" or "history", so user can access anytime if they want?

appreciate for any helping.

• You should look at snapshots. Check out BOL for this. There is not a native way to read and query backups, there may be a tool out there that will do it, but I don't know of one. Your options are snapshots, or restoring your backup to a different database. I would definite consider snapshots as they are designed for exactly what I think you are asking.

• Snapshots could work, however they are Enterprise only and have some limitations. Not the least of which is you lose them all if you need to restore the database.

Is this for someone to access ad hoc, and query for data as it looked in the past? How many do you need?

You could take a backup, I'd recommend using COPY_ONLY to not mess your backup chain, and then restore that as a different database name.

• Jack Corbett (8/15/2008)

You should look at snapshots. Check out BOL for this. There is not a native way to read and query backups, there may be a tool out there that will do it, but I don't know of one. Your options are snapshots, or restoring your backup to a different database. I would definite consider snapshots as they are designed for exactly what I think you are asking.

Thx a lot!

Can we have a Cube Snapshot?

Other than Snapshot, do we have any other related tools? Snapshot is good, I just want to find if there are comparable functions so we can measure the pros and cons.

Thanks!

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/17/2008)

Snapshots could work, however they are Enterprise only and have some limitations. Not the least of which is you lose them all if you need to restore the database.

Is this for someone to access ad hoc, and query for data as it looked in the past? How many do you need?

You could take a backup, I'd recommend using COPY_ONLY to not mess your backup chain, and then restore that as a different database name.

Thx,yeah,this is for someone to access ad hoc,and can query for the present or history data,my boss just want to find if there are comparable functions so we can measure the pros and cons.

about you recommendment"COPY_ONLY",can you give me more details?

• As a side feature, HyperBac allows you to mount a SQL Server backup as a linked server (it is primarily a SQL Server backup compression/encryption tool). See http://www.hyperbac.com.au. There is a cost involved.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Hyperbac in any way other than having evaluated their product for use within our company.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• COPY ONLY makes a regular backup, but doesn't reset the backup chain. Typically if I backup on Monday am, logs Mon pm, full backup Tues am, logs Tue PM, and I fail on Tue night, I have to get Tues backup and logs to restore.

If someone made an ad hoc backup on Tue afternoon, I'd need that one. Sometimes people need those for dev/QA and it messes the backup chain.

COPY ONLY avoids that, so a Tue afternoon backup with COPY_ONLY as an option means that a restore still goes back to the Tue am backup and then logs.

If you need one copy periodically, I'd setup a standard "old" database, take the backup using COPY_ONLY and restore it to that old database. If you need a couple, assuming you have space, you can name them with the date/time when you restore.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply