a=b=c?

• Sadly, we don't enforce putting in comments (development team of 22 people, of which 6 are mostly working with T-SQL). But we have all agreed to doing it and most actually do so...

Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden[/url]
    Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw[/url]
    Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden[/url]
    Cross Tabs and Pivots - Jeff Moden[/url]
    Catch-all queries - Gail Shaw[/url]

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

• SQLSandwiches (8/17/2011)

@Jeff, your audience must be on a more advanced level than mine here. I usually have to explain even the concept of a common table expression: "It's almost like a temporary view". But at least on one point we are in full compliance: in-code comments should (and will) explain all that is beyond the most obvious. So I always add them wherever needed, AND keep them up-to-date when changing the code. Thank you for this conversation (and of course your performance comparison of = ALL).

Since we are on the topic, why aren't CTE's taught more? Once I started using them I found them useful.

As for commented code, do you guys enforce it in your workplace? I was able to use policy management for object naming but didn't find a way to enforce commented code.

It's great to say in theory - "code should always be commented" but how do you practice it?

We "practice" it by making it perfectly clear that it's a part of the job and doing 100% code reviews to enforce it. Doing 100% code reviews is not as difficult as most people would have you believe.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply