A True SQL OS

• Too many times in history, the best technology solution won't sell. It is market economy. (I don't need to list historical examples).

In this particular case, I don't know if anybody had tested the market. My bet is it won't outlast market economy.

• I know I'm late to this party (circa 2009) but when I read the article re-run this morning, "SQL OS" and "specialized server core" sounded a lot more like "SQL appliance" to me. And to that end, I think I would agree. With the coming Hekaton in SQL 2014, I think that makes even more sense.

• nigel. (8/26/2009)

Steve,

You say they won't do this due to a loss of revenue from selling fewer Windows licences.

Surely Micro$oft will just charge more for this 'SQL OS' to make up the difference.

Nigel

I had the same thought. It would be an interesting scenario, sort like paying a premium to M$ to NOT have windows installed:-P

We are a manufacturing company, and I know of at least one very specialized vendor that has built a stripped down, very lean and fast version of linux optimized to run just one application. They also build tiny, extremely robust 'PCs' that are locally installed in oil fields at the pump heads. These 'PCs' take the place of plc's, and must be extremely explosion proof, etc etc. Very cool.

• DavidL (3/12/2014)

It would be an interesting scenario, sort like paying a premium to M$ to NOT have windows installed:-P

Is that like when Porsche wants to sell you a lightened version of a 911 but you would be paying them an extra $20k to NOT install a radio or air con? :blink:

• jownby (3/12/2014)

DavidL (3/12/2014)

It would be an interesting scenario, sort like paying a premium to M$ to NOT have windows installed:-P

Is that like when Porsche wants to sell you a lightened version of a 911 but you would be paying them an extra $20k to NOT install a radio or air con? :blink:

Not exactly as that won't help the driving experience (or would it?).

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • jownby (3/12/2014)

DavidL (3/12/2014)

Not unless you also make the Porsche with full-up blue screen capabilities. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply