A Strange issue with the REPLACE Function

• Hi All,

I am using the replace function to remove all but alpha-numeric characters and have run into a little issue with superscript numbers.

The issue can be demonstrated (at least on my server) using the following code

DECLARE @STR VARCHAR(100)

SET @STR = '1234567890'

SELECT REPLACE(@str,CHAR(179),'_')

CHAR(179) is a superscript 3 and the result I get from the REPLACE is

12_4567890

The Server is SQL 2005 Standard Edition 64-bit, version 9.00.4035.00 with a collation of Latin1_General_CI_AS and language set to English(United States)

Any help or explanations would be gratefully received.

Llewy

RedLlewy
    "The Plural of Anecdote is not Data"

• I don't know how the replace function behaves in different collations, but I know the problem is related with different collations.

Let' see it..

SET @STR = '1234567890'

SELECT REPLACE( @STR, CHAR(179) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, '_' ) AS Using_SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS,

REPLACE( @STR, CHAR(179) COLLATE Latin1_General_CI_AS, '_' ) AS [Using_Latin1_General_CI_AS],

CHAR(179) AS Replacing_Character

Results:

Using_SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS|Using_Latin1_General_CI_AS|Replacing_Character

1234567890|12_4567890|³

--Ramesh

• The issue is due to your using a case insensitive collation. Look at the following:

SET @STR = '1234567890'

SELECT REPLACE(@str collate Latin1_General_CI_AS,CHAR(179),'_')

SELECT REPLACE(@str collate Latin1_General_CS_AS,CHAR(179),'_')

SELECT REPLACE(@str collate Latin1_General_BIN2,CHAR(179),'_')

• Thanks very much for that!

Does this imply that the REPLACE function treats CHAR(179) (superscript '3') as an Uppercase '3'?

RedLlewy

• It isn't REPLACE that is doing this, it is your collation. In a case-insensitive collation 'a' = 'A'. As shown by your own example, in a case-insenstive collation there is no difference between a superscript 3 and a normal 3.

• Thank you very much for your help.

RedLlewy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply