A Private Database

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Private Database

• Great idea.... if it becomes reality lot of problems will be taken care. Even it will reduce lot of headaches.... 🙂

• Well, if they build a GUI similar to the one for Service Broker, it will be another great tool that most DBA's end up afraid of.

• Easily-managed row-level security would be nice. I've generally ended up using hierarchies of accounts for that kind of thing.

I haven't dug into service broker at all. It's not that it's in some way intimidating, it's just that I haven't found something it would be really useful for yet. It's kind of like CLR procs/UDFs - sounds like a great thing, but I end up wondering what to use it for (besides regexes - Matt Miller proved that one).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Views (filtered) have been used for years to implement row level security.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Michael Earl (6/9/2008)

Well, if they build a GUI similar to the one for Service Broker, it will be another great tool that most DBA's end up afraid of.

IS there a GUI for Service Broker? Please, please point me to it.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I have an idea on the shelf for an article/presentation called "The Top Ten Reasons that You Don't Already Use Service Broker".

Service Broker works great, once you've got it going, but getting it to work right that first time is a real struggle, primarily because of all of these subtle little "gotchas" that are frustratingly difficult to debug and in many cases not well documented.

Add to that the large number of cultural mis-assumptions (it doesn't do what you would expect in Sql Server) and that they implemented the syntax for the most complicated cases, but not the much more common (and understandable) simple cases (meaning that you have to include confusing and complicated syntax and structures that you do not want or otherwise need) and it becomes a veritable minefield of reasons for DBA's and DB developers to just give up and go with what they know. It doesn't help that Management Studio database "Generate Scripts..." task cannot generate scripts for it (I had to write my own scripter).

However, it is pretty cool once you get it to work.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Nope, there is no GUI for Service Broker (unless you count the template scripts). That was my point.

I tried to type as sarcastically as possible, but apparently pressing harder on the keys does not always work.

• I too think Service Broker is actually great and I have probably over-used it to solve things that could be otherwise handled more easily.

• Michael Earl (6/9/2008)

Nope, there is no GUI for Service Broker (unless you count the template scripts). That was my point.

I tried to type as sarcastically as possible, but apparently pressing harder on the keys does not always work.

LOL! Yes, really!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• We definitely need a GUI for Service Broker. I'm not sure one's coming in SQL 2008, but there is a lot of work being done on the manageability and tools side. Maybe we'll start to see more of "tools" to help manage these common types of code we all write.

• There's a good article on Technet on implementing row-level security, actually it's on building a classified database, but it does include row-level security, which doesn't look too difficult to implement.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/multisec.mspx

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2008)

We definitely need a GUI for Service Broker. I'm not sure one's coming in SQL 2008, but there is a lot of work being done on the manageability and tools side. Maybe we'll start to see more of "tools" to help manage these common types of code we all write.

I agree that we need one, however, I have the latest beta for SQL 2008 and if it's in there then I can't find it.

[/font]

• One one consulting job I worked, the company had one database per customer. The database schema for each was identical, and each database was 5 MB or less. The problem was that they had over 1,000 customers and databases, making it very difficult to produce any reports that crossed all customers, let along the implications of backing up and maintaining that many databases on a single instance of SQL Server.

After some simple explanations of the pros and cons of their options by me, they consolidated all of their customers into a single database. They are now very happy with the decision they made to consolidate.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• I cannot imagine how painful it would be to manage a thousand identical databases, much less the hell that reporting would be. Very glad you were able to get them to integrate them, Brad!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply