8 Ways to Export SQL Results To a Text File

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item 8 Ways to Export SQL Results To a Text File

• Excellent article! Really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to write that bad boy.

My only gripe would be this...

From the article:

Use it when you have millions of rows to copy files. It is a very fast option specialized in exporting and importing data from multiple sources.

The only thing missing from the article is that... a performance test of a million fairly wide rows for each method.

I'll also say that the Powershell output is a bit rough without any formatting added.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• good article. worth pointing another very easy way, cut and paste. Cut from SSMS and paste into Excel. I use this a lot for simple results. Especially useful with registered servers since the output is not just a straight query result, it has the server name as well

• Thanks very much for a great article. Some of the methods I knew, but others were an education for me. Appreciate your time and efforts!

• Nice consolidation of the various methods.

• Nice article.

One extra point to consider, is the expected length of your data. The bcp utility, for example, can handle huge strings, but ssms and sqlcmd truncates the output.

• You can also export text files very easily from SQL Server using an ODBC text database. Hmm. Perhaps I should write an article about that, but I show you how to do it here

https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/getting-data-between-excel-and-sql-server-using-odbc/

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• You can also highlight all or some of the cells in an SSMS Results grid, right-click and choose "Save Results As..."

--
    Scott

• Phil Factor (10/26/2016)

You can also export text files very easily from SQL Server using an ODBC text database. Hmm. Perhaps I should write an article about that, but I show you how to do it here

https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/getting-data-between-excel-and-sql-server-using-odbc/%5B/quote%5D

I love that article, Phil. You wrote one before for the old Jet drivers for similar tactics.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I find PowerQuery handy. It's an Excel add-in from Microsoft. It can read SQL Server, SharePoint, flat files, web services, even FaceBook.

• For results to file, I have to Cast the columns to a shorter length than what they because, at least for .txt, a Varchar(200) will output a nice underlined column header for 200 characters :crazy:

This has the effect of wrapping the text file output a few times around; tough to eyeball.

• ken.trock (10/27/2016)

For results to file, I have to Cast the columns to a shorter length than what they because, at least for .txt, a Varchar(200) will output a nice underlined column header for 200 characters :crazy:

This has the effect of wrapping the text file output a few times around; tough to eyeball.

What are you using to do the export with?

EDIT: Never mind. I see it. "Results to File".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply