Celebrate THEIR Accomplishments

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Celebrate THEIR Accomplishments

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant, I can't fail to notice the ironic contract of your article to your Roosevelt quote.  I 100% heartily agree with the idea of giving credit where credit is due, to the man in the arena.  On the other hand, I recall situations where performance was so very lacking that I had to terminate developers.  Especially in our current social situation where there is a feel-good emphasis I think we have to be honest in evaluation of accomplishment.  From my perspective and according to many things I see and read, the proverbial 'pat on the back' often needs to be lowered about 18 inches and have the force increased ten-fold.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Grant, I can't fail to notice the ironic contrast of your article to your Roosevelt quote.  I 100% heartily agree with the idea of giving credit where credit is due, to the man in the arena.  On the other hand, I recall situations where performance was so very lacking that I had to terminate developers.  Especially in our current social situation where there is a feel-good emphasis I think we have to be honest in evaluation of accomplishment.  From my perspective and according to many things I see and read, the proverbial 'pat on the back' often needs to be lowered about 18 inches and have the force increased ten-fold.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  skeleton567.

Rick

• I sure don't mean for it to be false praise, or even praise for nothing. I've just seen a few people get... for want of a term, upset when they see others doing well. I just wanted to share that it is both OK, and rewarding, to share in the success of others.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• One of the most rewarding times in my 42 years in IT was when I was asked to help break in a young man fresh out of school who was new in our DBA group who soon became the last boss in my career position   He has since moved on to another nationally-known company and is a lead DBA in that position.

Rick

• I think I read in a Daniel Pink book that we need 3 things to be happy

• To feel we are achieving something
    • To feel that what we achieving is worthwhile
    • To feel that our achievement is appreciated

People will move heaven and earth when they feel they are appreciated.  Sometimes all that person needs to feel appreciated is "thank you".

I find that people in low ranking positions lose track of what their contribution has enabled.  Sometimes they perceive their lynch pin achievement to be insignificant.    So, "Thank you, because you did 'x' we were able to do 'y' and that allowed us to help so many people".

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I sure don't mean for it to be false praise, or even praise for nothing. I've just seen a few people get... for want of a term, upset when they see others doing well. I just wanted to share that it is both OK, and rewarding, to share in the success of others.

Nicely said and very true.  To borrow a quote from one of my favorite shows (Red-Green), "I'm pullin' for ya.  We're all in this together."

Sometimes we work on the boring, run of the mill, everyday stuff that has to be done and that gives others the time to excel.  That's all a part of what "teamwork" is.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great article, Grant.

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

• Yes, great article and great comments, and a neat quote from Jeff. When recognition and praise is given where it is due, everyone benefits.

And getting upset when others do well is just pathological. No one becomes great by making others look small either.

Personally, I feel I owe Steve Jones for all his work making sqlservercentral go round. Hats off to him - it's a great community.

Cheers

Mark Dalley

• Mark Dalley wrote:

Yes, great article and great comments, and a neat quote from Jeff. When recognition and praise is given where it is due, everyone benefits.

And getting upset when others do well is just pathological. No one becomes great by making others look small either.

Personally, I feel I owe Steve Jones for all his work making sqlservercentral go round. Hats off to him - it's a great community.

Cheers

Mark Dalley

Ditto on Steve. My involvement here made me a whole new career. I'm very grateful for all the work Steve has done.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply