431 exam....solution

• I have been preapring and posponing to take exam from many months. I finish almost upto 80% preapration and give up as i get distracted with other duties..!!!!

However when ever i have prepared and taken sample test i have noticed that...the questions in which i make mistakes are not that i don't know the answers. it just that...i don't remember that topic in detail at that point of time. However when i read that topic then i can answers any question from that topic. I kind fo feel 431 exam topic is very very fast...!!!!

Have you been thru this kind of situation and how did you overcome this....?I mean how to make sure we don't forget the chapter 3 by the time we are done with chapter 9...???

Hope i don't sound stupid here...;)

Looking forward to your responses..

• Can you give an example?

The thing is, you should be learning this stuff. 431 includes simulations, and you need to be able to actually do the work. Work with objects, change security, etc.

If you've learned the concepts, then this isn't a big deal. If you forget Ch 3, you didn't learn Ch 3 well enough or work with the exercises enough.

• I have not taken the 431 in particular, but in preparing for multiple other computer certifications and of course the classes in college I find it helpful to make an outline or at least notes on the key points while I am reading through the material the first time. I then extensively review my notes.

Also, it is helpful to go through multiple sources for the entire exam, but particularly for any parts you know you have trouble with.

And finally, if you have access to the practice exams, use those to show you what you need to focus on. If I dominate most areas in the practice exam, then I can focus the rest of my time on getting other sources and reviewing the material I have in the place I do not do so well on the practice exams. Then, you should be able to do better on them next time.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Are you learning from books alone, or do you work with SQL2005? If the former, then you might get through by skimming the books in the few days before the exam if you have a good memory.

It could be that you are being too hard on yourself .... there is so much to cover in 431 that you are bound to forget detail if you are answering questions about statement formatting (for example, all the options on a CREATE ENDPOINT statement), but also remember that the exam is trying to test your understanding of concepts and not exact detail. My experience was that the MS self-paced training book is very good for this exam; if you can consistently reach the pass mark on their sample exams (in certification mode) then you are ready for the real exam.

• Thanks a ton for responses and i apologize for being so late in responding.

Here comes a brief introduction about my job...

I am the only developer and i maintain web(asp.net and AjAX) and database also SQL server. I don't work on SLQ server everyday and unless the situation demands i won't try to check back up or other sections of sql server. I basically just query query..!!! But i try to do something on sql server often to make sure i don't forget it. My problem is remembering details in some statement like create endpoint, create database, etc.

I am ashamed to say i have been in and out when it comes to preparation for 431 many a times. But i have too much interest in working n SQL server 2005. But don't want to read or work on sql server just to pass exam.

Now i am preparing everything from scratch as i have interview lined on sql sever. Want to make sure i use this preparation towards exam also.

• Watch out for the simulations. They trip a lot of people up.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The way I learn is to not only take notes of keypoints while I'm studying, but to have 2005 set up on a test server where I can try the things they describe in the books. And then try to do it some other way that isn't listed. The "non-supported" method of learning.

I learn best by breaking servers. @=) This is why I study on a SOHO at home instead of at work. My $200.00 box is cheap and if it breaks beyond repair, I haven't wasted a lot of money on it. Also, I don't get in trouble for killing the work dbs. 😀

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply