/3GB

• Good day,

I hate to ask this question, there seems to be so much info on this topic out there, but I just can't find where I went wrong...

I added the /3GB switch to boot.ini and rebooted the server. Based on the Target Server Memory and Total Server Memory counters I can see that SQL is not making use of the extra 1 GB - the counters are displaying the same 1.7 GB (and the server is under load, so if there was more memory to be had, it would take it).

Here are the specs:

MS Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2

4 GB physical memory

SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP4

SQL Server memory is set to dynamically use as much memory

awe is not enabled, /PAE switch is not set

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks!

• SQL 2000 Standard Edition can only use 2 GB of memory.

• Thank you for the response Michael.

I saw that AWE is only supported in Enterprise but I don't recall coming across any documentation indicating the same about /3GB...

• Henry_Lee (12/8/2010)

Thank you for the response Michael.

I saw that AWE is only supported in Enterprise but I don't recall coming across any documentation indicating the same about /3GB...

It has nothing to do with the /3GB switch; SQL Server Standard Edition will just not use more than 2 GB of memory.

• /3GB allows a 32 bit application in Windows to use up to 3GB of space (leaving 1GB for the OS). However SQL Server Standard (2000) has a limitation of 2GB.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply