3-up Mailing Labels?

• I'm trying to convert a Crystal report to SQL Reporting Services, but can't seem to figure out how to make it do 3-up mailing labels. Anyone have a clue?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Is there a better forum for posting questions like this? I'll be happy to re-post somewhere else if there's a chance it might get answered and then re-post the answer here when I find it.

Thanks

• How to feel stupid? Try making 3-up labels with SQL Reporting Services. Seems this is easier than you might think. The multiple column support works, but not for the preview or report manager views. Once you export to PDF, you get 3 columns.

Set the report layout so it had three columns. I used a "list" format so I could free-format the label. In preview, you can basically only tell that it is formatting each label correctly. Deploy, pull up the report and export it to PDF to get what it's supposed to look like.

Spacing is a bit more tricky since it inserts some vertical space between lines. Reducing the size vertically by one default grid unit seemed to fix the spacing so it fit on standard Avery laser-printer labels.

And now you know how to do it too...

• Thank you for the tip! You just saved me a lot of work.

• I've managed to create labels and even have the spacing come out correctly . . . IF I don't allow the textboxes in the list control to grow or shrink.  However, my boss finds the empty fields unacceptable and wants them to shrink if they are empty.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• HI Stacie,

Were you able to figure out printing mailing labels where they will print from left to right, rather than down the page.

Like this:

1     2      3      4

rather than

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

SqlNewbie

• Stacie Loving (3/17/2005)

I've managed to create labels and even have the spacing come out correctly . . . IF I don't allow the textboxes in the list control to grow or shrink. However, my boss finds the empty fields unacceptable and wants them to shrink if they are empty. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I do something like this with name and address fields - create one large text box to hold the complete address, and set the contents to something like this:

= IIF(Fields!add_1.Value = "","",Fields!add_1.Value & vbcrlf) & IIF(Fields!add_2.Value = "","",Fields!add_2.Value & vbcrlf) & IIF(Fields!add_3.Value="","",Fields!add_3.Value & vbcrlf) & iif(Fields!add_4.Value="", "",Fields!add_4.Value + vbcrlf) & IIF(Fields!add_5.Value="","",Fields!add_5.Value + vbcrlf) & Fields!post_code.Value

If the field is blank it is ignored (the IIF returns an empty string), but if there is something there, it is concatenated and a CrLf tagged on

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply