2005 Cluster - Client Components (SSMS) missing from one node

• Hey All,

I think I will have to try this in the lab before I do it in production. 

I have a 2 node SQL Server 2005 failover cluster.  One node has the client components installed and the other does not.  I'm wondering - when I run the install to add the client tools to the single node:

- does that node have to be the active node?

- will a service restart, failover or other interruption be required?

Anyway... just curious to see what some of you have run into.

Thanks!

Dan B

• I am interested in the answer too.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• - You need an extra install of the client components on the second node.

You're just installing a client, so there's no need to failover the sqlserver-server instance to the node of your install. I'd even prefer it NOT running on the node where I perform an install.

- If you also installed SSIS, keep in mind it is not clustered. In that case, you'll also need an extra install of SSIS on the second node. You can run SSIS in a cluster mode, but you'll have to make it clustered yourself and offcourse need a local install at each node.

- When you apply a servicepack, node-reboot may be needed

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks ALZDBA!

This problem was noticed after the cluster flipped to the secondary node.  I was hoping not to have to flip it back until it was necessary, to avoid any additional downtime.  Therefore, I did all my testing against the active node. 

No service restart was necessary and the cluster did not fail over. 

Of course, the workstation tools are now of the RTM build on this node, but the next scheduled round of patching will take care of that, unless a more pressing need is found of course!

Sincerely,

-Dan B.

• Oh, and this is either a bug, or by design.  Either way, it is a known issue.

From the readme:

------------------------------------------------------

2.6.2 Setup Installs Management Tools Only on the Primary Node of a Failover Cluster

Setup installs management tools only on the primary node of a failover cluster. To make the tools accessible from secondary nodes of a failover cluster, install them separately on each secondary node.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,

Dan B
  • strange

we did SP2 and the 3161 hotfix over the weekend and SP2 installed everything on both nodes. we failed everything over to 1 node, installed SP2 and then failed over again. didn't need to install anything on the other node

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply