‘Restoring’ mode

• Is there any way to read the DB when this is in ‘Restoring’ mode. I tried SNAPSHOT but this didn’t help.

-Lucky

• luckysql.kinda (7/26/2009)

Is there any way to read the DB when this is in ‘Restoring’ mode. I tried SNAPSHOT but this didn’t help.

-Lucky

I dont think so. The database is in norecovery mode which means it's expecting more files for restoration. You'll need to put the db in recovery mode to read from it.

restore database mydb with recovery

Pradeep Singh

• you can only read and restore the database if you are using STAND BY Restore option. There are pros and cons to this recovery method. google it out for more info.

• luckysql.kinda (7/26/2009)

Is there any way to read the DB when this is in ‘Restoring’ mode. I tried SNAPSHOT but this didn’t help.

-Lucky

What exactly did you try with Snapshot? And how did this not help?

If you were able to create a database snapshot, that is a read only version of the database at the time you created the snapshot. Of course, it just may be that you don't have Enterprise Edition which is required to be able to use database snapshots.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• A database snapshot can only be created of an online database, or a mirror database that is in the synchronised state. A database that's in the restoring state cannot have a snapshot created on it, unless it's in a database mirroring config.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply