• Blaming the MBA is like blaming the janitor. This isn't just a DBA issue.

The problem with Wall Street is how the Executives have absolutely no accountability.

The Database is just a company asset. This is where SQL Server Central might consider a blog about Corporate Responsibility.

In the old days, if a CEO misplaced half of the company's cash (assets), the CEO would be held accountable. Probably fired and often would not get a bonus and/or never work again as a CEO.

Until top management is held directly responsible for assets management, nothing should (or will) change.

Today, the CEO has spoofed stockholders to believe data (and associated process) has no value. The MBA take that lead as data having no value and act according to the roles they are paid to fulfill. What is described in this article has zero value and zero accountability at the CEO and Board levels.

The Too-Big-To-Fail Banks have taken the lead in this lack of accountability. The rest of the companies must follow this lead to stay competitive.

Look at the outrageous activities in the Banking, Financing, and Investment industry. The new standard is to pay a tiny fine where none of the management involved go to jail or face personal fines. The company keeps the billions and pay a few million in fines. It is just cost of doing business. Nothing was solved, no practice is changed.

You can call it whatever you want, it is the new normal. Just to be realistic, since 2008 the Administration's Attorney has failed to even seriously charge even one individual for the financial crisis.

In Theory, Practice and Theory are the same, in Practice they are not.

Discussions about how it "ought to be" don't solve problems.

Let me close with a true story.

In Chicago, a Bank ran an advertisement to find someone to fill ATM Machines with cash.

A guy gets interviewed and agrees to work for less than others. The Bank call the references, likes the low price they negotiated. They give the guy $500,000.00 in small bills. They never see the guy again.

The FBI investigates, finds out the references were just throw-away cell phones. The FBI authorized FCIC to give the bank $500,000.00.

Eight weeks later, the same bank has the exact same thing happen.

Why?

At the time, I brought this up with a now retired FBI agent that specialized in Bank Fraud. He indicated that the Banks might not have financial interest in changing anything until it cost them money.

If lawmakers are too incompetent to create basic law regarding bad behavior, what chance do we have of them holding CEO and Board members accountable to the investors? DBA fall way below the investors on the food chain.

My prediction is that it will get much, much worse for DBA types and all of the rest until there is some level of holding the top level accountable for the company assets. Look at a company's financial assets. Where is the value of Data and the systems?

We all sat silent as the Target data breach, run (according to their web site) in India. The news blamed one lone US Citizen DBA. We all accepted that. My credit card personally had over $2,000 charged against it as part of the Target breach. It took me and probably a million others about 8 hours of personal uncompensated time to deal with it. We all accepted that one DBA, most likely the only American on the Target payroll, as being responsible. Nobody called for Target to compensate the victims for actual damages. Nobody remotely suggest the Target Owner be held responsible.

Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/fdic-removes-warning-to-banks-about-30-risky-business-categories-1406569171