How can I disable a Job via TSQL

• I want to do an upgrade on a busy SQL 2000 server that has lots of jobs kicking off at different times.  But first I need to wait until there are no jobs running before I shut down the SQL Agent. 

My plan was to make a copy of sysjobs, then I did

UPDATE sysjobs SET Enabled = 0

To my surprise the jobs kept executing.  When I queried the table, sure enough the Enabled column (smallint) was all zeros.  I'm thinking the Agent must have a cache somewhere which needs to be refreshed, but I don't know how to do that.

Any ideas on how to disable my jobs via TSQL?

Thanks

Paul

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/

• exec msdb..sp_update_job @job_id = 0xC0923E436928064EA33B46B2A47BFF61 , @enabled = 0

• Awesome, thanks very much. 

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/

• It might be easier to use:

exec msdb..sp_update_job @job_name = 'Job Name', @enabled = 0

Paul (polecki@Insurance.com)

• Good point... I used the profiler to find out what sql enterprise manager was generating to disable the job. But using the jobname is certainly much simpler.

• The way I learned some of the s/p's was to right click on the job and choose All tasks...Generate SQL script.  That shows many s/p's used to create a job on another server.

• Ya that's quite a few .

• Hi All

This is all well, but isnt there a script that loops through all the jobs and disable them all at once.

Thanks in advance

• Depending on why you want to turn off all jobs, we usually just stop Sql Server Agent. We would do this if the source server was going to be down.

When we are ready to resume the jobs, we start it back up. Then we might have to manually run any jobs which needed to run during the outage.

• Thanks for your reply Paul

Its a 3 phase plan we are going through.1)First put db in single-user mode.2)Then switch off the system and 3)then decomission the system.

We cant disable SQL Agent, we still need to backup the system dbs.

Thanks and Regards

A

• Can you do this on a remote server? We have a mirrored database and I want to write a script to enable and disable jobs on both servers in the event of a failover (the script to be run manually).

--
    Scott

• thanks very helpful

• SELECT job_id,[name] FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs

EXEC msdb.dbo.SP_UPDATE_JOB @job_id = 'B9D5575F-56FB-4B34-8180-2728FB70BC0F' , @enabled =1

• Does this wait if the job is running at the time before executing the next statement if used in a SP? I've got a job running every five minutes checking for a change to a bunch of tables being fed via web services on another server and refreshes a local copy. I'd like to disable the job, refresh the local copy, which sometimes takes just around or more than five minutes, then re-enable the job running every five minutes.

The timing is a bit too erratic to be tested and I wonder if anyone knows for sure. It would save me considerable time finding out if someone already knew.

Thanks.

Joe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply